Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rufus for ubuntu ?

Beans

Rufus for ubuntu ?

hi,
    In my windows laptop to burn any iso file, I use "Rufus " software. i.e https://rufus.ie . The software is very easy, solid and user-friendly. The thing I want to ask is in ubuntu/Xubuntu can I use Rufus or there is similar software that can do the same thing as Rufus do?

Beans

Re: Rufus for ubuntu ?

You don't burn to USB. You burn optical media like CDs and DVDs. It is called "burning" because the laser used to put the data on the disk is more intense than the laser to read it. USB storage is magnetic. There is no burning. Rufus simply extracts the data and puts it on the USB stick then makes it bootable and usable.

Beans

There are lots of applications to put an ISO onto a USB stick in Ubuntu from command line options like 'dd' to GUI applications like "Startup Disk Creator". You can even install unetbooting using the below 3 commands
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gezakovacs/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get -y install unetbootin

Beans
    Hidden!

+1 for the Ubuntu Startup Disk Creator.

The following link and links from it describes several methods and tools for the same and similar purposes,

help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

Beans

Thanks for the reply. Well if I talk about dd command is it a part of ubuntu command line or I have download the dd utility command? what will be the syntax of the command? Suppose I have downloaded Xubuntu iso file and now want to to make a bootable USB which have an 8 GB capacity.

Appreciate you.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Personally, I've found Etcher entirely painless to use.

Beans
    Hidden!

dd is a standard Linux command and is included in all Ubuntu flavours (e.g. Xubuntu).

But dd is risky because there is no final checkpoint. It will accept your command without any question, also when you tell it to wipe the family pictures or other valuable data. Many people have made mistakes and pointed to the wrong drive and for this reason dd has earned the nickname Data Destroyer.

Instead I suggest that you select a dedicated tool with a graphical user interface, that helps you identify and select the correct target device, usually a USB pendrive.

Edit:

The Ubuntu Startup Disk Creator is also included the Ubuntu flavours (e.g. Xubuntu). It is easy to use and has a final checkpoint. It will help you identify and select the correct target device. But there are also other tools with similar properties.

If you want something more advanced than a basic live-only drive, for example a persistent live drive, or make a non-Ubuntu live-only drive, I can recommend mkusb.
    Last edited by sudodus; December 17th, 2020 at 06:39 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    dd is a standard Linux command and is included in all Ubuntu flavours (e.g. Xubuntu).

But dd is risky because there is no final checkpoint. It will accept your command without any question, also when you tell it to wipe the family pictures or other valuable data. Many people have made mistakes and pointed to the wrong drive and for this reason dd has earned the nickname Data Destroyer.

Instead I suggest that you select a dedicated tool with a graphical user interface, that helps you identify and select the correct target device, usually a USB pendrive.
    I myself prefer and use "dd" NOTE: Please heed sudous advice dd is also affectionately know as Disk Destroyer.
    Many Great tools for this with GUI's available. sudodus has one also mkusb found here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb/gui
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Startup Disk Creator. It's already in the standard menu and just as easy to use as Rufus.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I only use Ventoy now. Tried all the others. Ventoy is just to easy and has never failed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast