Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dd fails with I/O error when trying to create .iso

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: dd fails with I/O error when trying to create .iso

When the game plays fine on a Windows machine, but you cannot copy it, I suspect that there is copy protection by means of some bad sectors or something else put there in order to prevent copying. There is probably not much you can do if you want to use legal tools/methods (and I won't recommend illegal methods).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jcdenton1995 View Post
    I tried this after you suggested it, and while the process does continue, the drive still makes the same crazy noises mentioned above, and it writes around 50 KiB/s. Even if I left it for a very long time I think the resulting file would be junk :/
    I would still try to let it complete and evaluate the result rather than guesstimating the outcome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I agree, but at the rate it's copying it would take days, weeks even maybe! I'd like to get it going but I'm not that bothered. But also on the other hand I probably will because I never use the laptop these days so I have the time. If I do I'll update this thread with my findings.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jcdenton1995 View Post
    I agree, but at the rate it's copying it would take days, weeks even maybe! I'd like to get it going but I'm not that bothered. But also on the other hand I probably will because I never use the laptop these days so I have the time. If I do I'll update this thread with my findings.
    ddrescue does multiple attempts of the source, but it will continue to the next sector if there is a failure. There are options to limit how hard it tries to recover failing sectors and with the log file, we can have it re-run after it finishes the first attempt of the entire disc. Failures will always slow down clones like this, but a typical DVD should be cloned in 2 hrs or less.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12