Thread: Password uncertainty - a bug

Beans

Password uncertainty - a bug

Hello Admin Person

I am posting in the Resolution Center as it seems to be the right place. I have been using the forum lately and am glad we have it. But in logging into the forum i found that logging in via the SSO login Ubuntu One only required my full name to get in- no password needed.

I thought that strange, but then the last time i was asked for my password. so i assumed that if there was a bug, it was fixed. But this evening again i came in via SSO and again no password required!

Nothing much unusual about my setup - Vaio Sony laptop and single OS - Ubuntu 20.04 MATE. So i think i might not be the sole Ubuntu user who experiences this?

Please let me know if this is an issue. Thanks,

Blessings
    Patrick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Password uncertainty - a bug

I am not an admin but I am sure one will reply if they have more to add to what I post, I have never seen this issue before but we do not administer Ubuntu One, I recommend that you contact them to see if they can help with this issue, Ubuntu One's faq page is here:

https://login.launchpad.net/+faq

there is also a link on that page that you can click on to get the email address so you can email Canonical for Ubuntu One support.

Regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Spot on wildmanne39. This is a question for Ubuntu One, not us.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

@basicsearcher, I think I can see your confusion.

You need a password to log into your Ubuntu One SSO account, but once logged in you will remains logged into Ubuntu One. If you are already logged into Ubuntu One and you click on the Login with SSO button in the forum home page, you will be taken to the Ubuntu One Personal Data Request page, with your account name already filled in. All you do then is to click on the green "Yes, Log me in" button and you will be logged into Ubuntu forums. No second password needed. That's the whole point of SSO (Single Sign On) - you just need one password for the SSO site. No dedicated forum password needed.

Reading your post I suspect that sometimes you were not logged into Ubuntu One, and Ubuntu One prompted you for your Ubuntu One password in order to log into Ubuntu One. On other occasions you were already logged into Ubuntu One, and you simply needed to confirm your identity on the Ubuntu One Personal Data Request page.

Next time, look at the URL in the URL bar for each page you go through. If the domain is ubuntu.com, then you are on the Ubuntu One site. If ubuntuforums.org, then you are on the forum site.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.