Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help Me With Computer Build

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Help Me With Computer Build

Very lucky, indeed. the 5600x is almost 2x faster than the 1600. Pretty impressive for the same number of cores over about 4 yrs of CPU improvements.
    I have a self-imposed $150 price limitation for a CPU. A few months ago, the $100 3100 was looking like the deal for price/performance. I maintain a simple line chart in a spreadsheet with price/performance for about 10 CPUs in the $100-$250 price range. I've written off Intel because they seem to change compatible sockets every 6 months which breaks the entire cheap upgrade after 3 yr plan. With Ryzen, just swapping the CPU only can nearly quadruple performance after a few years while not buying $800 CPUs, ever. Now that AMD has the $/Watts nailed to be pretty great too and are less prone to all the Intel CPU security issues, there is little reason to choose Intel for a desktop build in my mind.

Laptops, and I'm still not sold on AMD for lower power and long battery life yet. With laptops, upgrades beyond RAM and storage aren't really any option.

Lots of choices and complexities. Wouldn't want this to be easy after all. No fun that way. ;(

Beans

Hey Daniell,

It's not hard to build a PC for yourself. You can try using a few websites which allows you to check the compatibility of the pc parts before buying them. For this, you can use PC Part Picker, PC Builder, and BuildMyPC. Although, I recommend using PCPartPicker, as this is one of the most old and reliable website out there for checking the compatibility of the parts.

If you're not sure on this, you can read my post on pc builder reviews where I reviewed all these websites for building the PC. Once you checked and find the compatible parts, I recommend you to connect with any local computer shop person for arranging and building your desktop correctly.

Also, best of luck for your build

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tanmayjain01 View Post
    Hey Daniell,

It's not hard to build a PC for yourself. You can try using a few websites which allows you to check the compatibility of the pc parts before buying them. For this, you can use PC Part Picker, PC Builder, and BuildMyPC. Although, I recommend using PCPartPicker, as this is one of the most old and reliable website out there for checking the compatibility of the parts.

If you're not sure on this, you can read my post on pc builder reviews where I reviewed all these websites for building the PC. Once you checked and find the compatible parts, I recommend you to connect with any local computer shop person for arranging and building your desktop correctly.

Also, best of luck for your build
    My present impediment is not how to build, but to find components at a reasonable price. The Ryzen 5000G series would seemingly solve my problem if it ever becomes available in the retail market.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

to find components at a reasonable price
    A couple of other folks have said it in earlier posts. You can basically build a model of your intended system at pcpartspicker; it also checks compatibility. It will also show you the best current prices, and if you think they are too high, you can wait awhile.
    Consider these points:
    Motherboard will determine case size.
    Power Supply Unit: Semi-modular or fully-modular
    Disks: 2.5 inch SSD or newer NVME (don't lose that small screw that comes with your motherboard)

You can always build an economically minimum system then upgrade as resources become available.
    Modeling your build is the fun part of building a computer. Satisfaction is when it successfully boots.
    Last edited by him610; May 19th, 2021 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Added verbage
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

pcpartspicker is great, but not 100% accurate and definitely not always finding the cheapest, reputable, seller. I use it for broad searches and comparisons only.
    I've been burned due to inaccurate data too.
    Always read the motherboard manual BEFORE buying, so you know any caveats about RAM, BIOS, storage and power connections before it is too late.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123