Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HP Deskjet All-in-One Ink Advantage Colour Printer Compatibility

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Exclamation HP Deskjet All-in-One Ink Advantage Colour Printer Compatibility

My old printer was HP DeskJet 2135 All-in-One Ink Advantage Colour Printer which worked very well with several versions of Linux and HPLIP 3.16.3
    Now I need to buy a new printer which I wish is of similar class.
    I am thinking of :
    HP DeskJet 2335 All-in-One Ink Advantage Colour Printer OR
    HP DeskJet 2778 All-in-One Ink Advantage Wireless Colour Printer

Can any one tell me about the compatibility of these two printers (especially the first one '2335') with Linux.
    On the following website :
    https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-i..._devices/index
    I found

HP_Printer.jpg

I am not sure what does the term "HP DeskJet Ink Advantage 2300 All-in-One" means.
    Does it includes all printer in that series that start with 23XX, which should include HP DeskJet 2335 All-in-One Ink Advantage Colour Printer also ?

EDIT
    I finally bought HP DeskJet 2778 All-in-One Ink Advantage Wireless Colour Printer and it is giving some trouble as mentioned in later posts. Would also like to mention that though this printer has wireless capability, I am not interested in using that feature. So if anyone can kindly help me with its USB cable connectivity only. Help with wireless connectivity is not needed.

Last edited by 3dmatrix; December 24th, 2020 at 09:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HP Deskjet All-in-One Ink Advantage Colour Printer Compatibility

Quote Originally Posted by 3dmatrix View Post
    I am not sure what does the term "HP DeskJet Ink Advantage 2300 All-in-One" means.
    Does it includes all printer in that series that start with 23XX, which should include HP DeskJet 2335 All-in-One Ink Advantage Colour Printer also ?
    Yes, that's exactly what it means.
    Ubuntu 20.04 has hplip 3.20.3,
    Ubuntu 20.10 has hplip 3.20.5, the minimum version that supports both of those printers.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you.
    Regarding a printer say Canon Pixma E477, here ( https://www.openprinting.org/printer...ma_E400_Series ) it mentions

Canon Pixma E400 Series Color inkjet printer, works Mostly
    User-contributed Printer Entry
    This printer entry was contributed by a user but was not yet verified or proofread by the site administrators. Therefore it is not included in the Foomatic packages.

But I have noticed many places users have mentioned that they face a lot of problem with Canon printers. Does any one has any experience with Canon Pixma E477 printer ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have some experience.
    Most of times most of the models work fine when drivers are installed. Some newer models likely work driverless as well.

Beans
    Distro

Actually my use of printer is very limited. Average, barely one BW print a day. Rather scanning is still more important.
    So for that I do not wish to spend too much money. Just need a basic printer which works for sure.
    Do not wish to waste money buying something that will finally be used as a paperweight

Beans
    Distro

I apologise for my ignorance, but can any one tell me in short how can a wifi enabled Printer / scanner help me to overcome the driver / hardware incompatibility with Linux.
    If I have a wifi enabled printer can I straight off print from my computer using wifi ? Without the need of any extra driver or software ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I recently bought a Canon Pixus TS8430 (printer/scanner), connected it to the router over wifi by selecting it on the printers control panel. My desktop which is hardwired to the same router then picked it up immediately no additional drivers installed.

Both printing and scanning worked fine. Only thing I had to do was select A4 over default Letter.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tokyobadger View Post
    I recently bought a Canon Pixus TS8430 (printer/scanner), connected it to the router over wifi by selecting it on the printers control panel. My desktop which is hardwired to the same router then picked it up immediately no additional drivers installed.

Both printing and scanning worked fine. Only thing I had to do was select A4 over default Letter.
    Thanks.
    Unfortunately Canon Pixus series is not available in my area.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The Pixus is sold in other markets as Pixma, for example the Pixma TS8320 sold in the US looks identical to my printer. More relevantly the LCD display is showing the same info as my printer. In 2020, it is highly unlikely that a printer/scanner manufacturer would develop market-specific software so I'd hazard guess that hooking this model up in the same way I did mine would result in the same functionality.

I would also guess that other manufacturers (eg HP) are using same/similar protocol(s); second guess would be that if the device supports Apple AirPrint you'd be able to print over wifi on an up-to-date Ubuntu install (if connected to the same router)

Beans
    Distro

HP DeskJet 2778 All-in-One Ink Advantage Wireless Colour Printer not working

Finally I bought HP DeskJet 2778 All-in-One Ink Advantage Wireless Colour Printer and unfortunately it is not working well with Lubuntu.
    I have installed HPLIP 3.20.X printer is not being recognised well, at least through the HPLIP interface. But somehow can manage to print if I ask Lubuntu to recognise it as some other model but Scanning is just not possible. Can any one please help me to install this printer properly.

I used hp-plugin and hp-doctor commands but nothing worked.

hp-plugin : It tried looking for plugin and then looked for some authintication KEY. Said could not download the KEY. I asked it to proceed without it. Then it asked for root password. After entering that it gave an error :
    error : Python gobject/dbus may be not installed
    error : Plug-in install failed

I tried installing what ever I could find relevant but nothing worked.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast