Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your opinion about CentOS ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 20.04 Focal Fossa

What is your opinion about CentOS ?

I have never used CentOS. I like the very long support time but I have heard that the default repos are not that large in comparison to Debian/Ubuntu & to install stuff like VLC & other multimedia apps it becomes necessary to add additional repos. Is that true ? What is your opinion about CentOS as a desktop distro ?

This is my WiFi

Code:
    $ inxi -Nn
    Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169 
               IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: 60:45:cb:87:53:a5 
               Device-2: Ralink MT7601U Wireless Adapter type: USB driver: mt7601u 
               IF: wlx0e4b880019ac state: up mac: 0e:4b:88:00:19:ac
    I searched & found that it is not supported out of the box. So that's another downside.
    Ubuntu Budgie 20.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: What is your opinion about CentOS ?

I prefer this is best for sever even Ubuntu and etc. as long that it is Linux. It is best to Serve.
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread
    Rock n' Roll People.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

This may be of interest to users and potential users of Cent OS.

https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/futu...centos-stream/
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I began using RedHat on servers and later migrated to CentOS. The change in direction of the CentOS team described in the link Frog's Hair cites above has started me thinking that I might move to Ubuntu Server.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I'm a CentOS user who moved to Debian. Ubuntu for my personal workstation. I dislike the IBM influence. I use RHEL at work everyday however. If you are looking for corporate American experience, that is where you go.
    I'm the Sisyphus in security engineering.

Read about 14.04 ESM and Puppet inside of Docker Containers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by linuxyogi View Post
    I have never used CentOS. I like the very long support time but I have heard that the default repos are not that large in comparison to Debian/Ubuntu & to install stuff like VLC & other multimedia apps it becomes necessary to add additional repos. Is that true ? What is your opinion about CentOS as a desktop distro ?

This is my WiFi

Code:
    $ inxi -Nn
    Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169 
               IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: 60:45:cb:87:53:a5 
               Device-2: Ralink MT7601U Wireless Adapter type: USB driver: mt7601u 
               IF: wlx0e4b880019ac state: up mac: 0e:4b:88:00:19:ac
    I searched & found that it is not supported out of the box. So that's another downside.
    you add a repo and install a module. same as you might need to in Ubuntu. dkms will take care of kernel updates. the only downside is the kernel is then"tainted" so secure boot has to be off.

A mentioned here
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    This may be of interest to users and potential users of Cent OS.
    https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/futu...centos-stream/
    you can now forget about long term support as they just dropped it.
    i always thought this was a community build from source code with all Red Hat branding removed.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

As a home user I have a question or two.

Why would a commercial enterprise use CentOS? Because the owners of the enterprise do not want to pay the Red Hat fees?

Would IT department administrators recommend running a commercial enterprise on a server OS that was a development release?

As I understand it CentOS 8 is a stable release and CentOS Stream is a development release. It also seems to me that the future of any commercial enterprise running CentOS is to become a production environment tester for Red Hat at their own expense and own liability.

Am I right in thinking that from now on any community developed distribution of Linux that accepts developers who are Red Hat employees runs the risk of being absorbed/taken over by Red Hat?

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Am I right in thinking that from now on any community developed distribution of Linux that accepts developers who are Red Hat employees runs the risk of being absorbed/taken over by Red Hat?
    It certainly sounds that way in the linked blog.

CentOS Stream continues after that date, serving as the upstream (development) branch of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
    Upstream doesn't sound like it's a community maintained project.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; December 10th, 2020 at 08:17 PM.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I'm saddened that the sense of community in so many distros is being strangled to death as big companies buy the platform and then reflexively apply their proprietary fixations on their shiny new FOSS "asset".

When Redhat assimilated CentOS and then in turn were assimilated by IBM, this was a preordained outcome. I don't know whether "resistance is futile", but the Borg parallel is by equal measures scary, depressing and accurate.

I suppose we should expect an influx of CentOS refugees interested in giving Ubuntu's tires a few kicks now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This discussion has got me thinking. I do not think that Mark shuttleworth will sell Canonical out of greedy desire for more millions. I have in mind some businesses that were founded by an individual, listed on the stock market and at some point the board of directors pushed out the founder and then the board arranged a merger/sell out that let them take away millions of dollars/pounds.

Without independent Linux server operating systems Linux itself could be superseded by corporate developed code. An old generation of IBM bosses let Microsoft run off with the PC operating system. Is a new generation of IBM bosses scheming to assimilate the server operating system by making Linux irrelevant? Is Android dependent on Linux kernel development? Or is Android an independently developed offshoot of Linux?

It was not my intention to take this thread off topic. I regret the direction my thoughts have moved in. Sorry.

Regards
    Last edited by grahammechanical; December 10th, 2020 at 11:47 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast