Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What is your opinion about CentOS ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: What is your opinion about CentOS ?

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    …I hope one of the distros in the article succeeds.
    The chances look good. There's a large pent up demand like yours waiting for such distros.

I know I'm repeating myself, but it's a crying shame that organizations like IBM haven't a clue about the real value of the community that is behind their "assets". If they valued this community properly, they could leverage it to mutual benefit rather than alienate it.

But it is what it is (and they are who they are).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

I understand the CentOS issue is a big deal for some, so I hope those people won't get too upset, but I couldn't care less.
    It is somewhat naive to to expect IBM to pay billions for RH, and then allow CO give it away for free.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post

It is somewhat naive to to expect IBM to pay billions for RH, and then allow CO give it away for free.
    Au contraire,

What I think is naïve is IBM expecting RHEL to continue to grow while basically flipping the bird at its community roots. I dont' know if you've read my prior post: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....0#post14007830

Linux isn't like the world IBM comes from. Offend the community—offend the dynamic that gives the asset its value in the first place. And, witness what's happening with Rocky and AlmaLinux, they won't be able to suppress that community anyways. So they buy themselves nothing but bad blood with their move. It's foolish, blind and asinine all at the same time. It is the IMB PC and OS/2 all over again. They keep shooting themselves in the foot.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    I know I'm repeating myself, but it's a crying shame that organizations like IBM haven't a clue about the real value of the community that is behind their "assets".
    They reduced their own mana.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345