Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What is your opinion about CentOS ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: What is your opinion about CentOS ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chanath View Post
    Why should anyone be worried about what happens to CentOS, especially here?
    Did we sign some sort of "I will only be interested in Ubuntu" manifesto when we came here?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by linuxyogi View Post
    I have never used CentOS. I like the very long support time but I have heard that the default repos are not that large in comparison to Debian/Ubuntu & to install stuff like VLC & other multimedia apps it becomes necessary to add additional repos. Is that true ? What is your opinion about CentOS as a desktop distro ?
    I use CentOS from time to time as a desktop OS. Adding additional repos isn't difficult, just a different system of package management than that of Debian and derivatives. I did have a problem with their network manager app in one install. Fedora is more current, but it can be like running Debian Sid, and sometimes things got wrong. Someone on the Debian forums once said: "one thing about running Unstable- when it breaks you get to keep the pieces".
    Server: Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD | (2) Xeon E5-2670 | 32GB DDR3 ECC Registered |Debian 10
    Desktop Asrock 79 ext4 | Intel Xeon E2650 | 16GB DDR3 1600 | Debian 10
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron I5 7567 | Manjaro 20.2

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Why should anyone be worried about what happens to CentOS, especially here?
    Why? Because we are indirect beneficiaries of CentOS too. In the FOSS world, when ideas get created, they also get shared. A vibrant alternative community contributes to the greater good. It also keeps Canonical on its toes. One of the reasons that Microsoft and Google no longer innovate as keenly as they once did is because they have become quasi monopolies with all of the sclerotic fossilization that accompanies such status. Note how they only come up with new stuff these days by leveraging their massive capital to buy startups. Their in‑house innovation is pretty pathetic.

So reduction of proper alternatives is a danger to Linux. The FOSS community is especially susceptible to the disappearance of proper alternatives. While it is true that we have dozens of tiny distros, these little squirts can't get traction. Single maintainer distros don't constitute real alternatives. They are fragile and undependable for mission-critical use. Example: I used to depend on Crunchbang for some old laptops that I had revitalized for friends. The demise of that distro soured a few of them on Linux in general.

CentOS was a really good cousin to Ubuntu. A 10 year support cycle is a tremendous advantage and just what the doctor ordered for many use cases. Note that Ubuntu LTS only has 5 years of support. You have to pay for more, and it's of questionable reliability because it has such a small user base.

FOSS has a very different dynamic than the proprietary world. Proprietary software behaves as if the market is a zero sum game: Apple can only grow if Microsoft surrenders market share. This is not true, but it doesn't hurt Apple (or Microsoft) to behave that way. But in the FOSS world, it's the opposite. With apologies to Dumas, it's more like "one for all and all for one". The health of each distro contributes to the vibrancy of the larger general community.

The death of CentOS will be painful for all of us.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    Why? Because we are indirect beneficiaries of CentOS too. In the FOSS world, when ideas get created, they also get shared. A vibrant alternative community contributes to the greater good. It also keeps Canonical on its toes. One of the reasons that Microsoft and Google no longer innovate as keenly as they once did is because they have become quasi monopolies with all of the sclerotic fossilization that accompanies such status. Note how they only come up with new stuff these days by leveraging their massive capital to buy startups. Their in‑house innovation is pretty pathetic.

So reduction of proper alternatives is a danger to Linux. The FOSS community is especially susceptible to the disappearance of proper alternatives. While it is true that we have dozens of tiny distros, these little squirts can't get traction. Single maintainer distros don't constitute real alternatives. They are fragile and undependable for mission-critical use. Example: I used to depend on Crunchbang for some old laptops that I had revitalized for friends. The demise of that distro soured a few of them on Linux in general.

CentOS was a really good cousin to Ubuntu. A 10 year support cycle is a tremendous advantage and just what the doctor ordered for many use cases. Note that Ubuntu LTS only has 5 years of support. You have to pay for more, and it's of questionable reliability because it has such a small user base.

FOSS has a very different dynamic than the proprietary world. Proprietary software behaves as if the market is a zero sum game: Apple can only grow if Microsoft surrenders market share. This is not true, but it doesn't hurt Apple (or Microsoft) to behave that way. But in the FOSS world, it's the opposite. With apologies to Dumas, it's more like "one for all and all for one". The health of each distro contributes to the vibrancy of the larger general community.

I found the "Like" button on this forum.

thup.png
    Server: Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD | (2) Xeon E5-2670 | 32GB DDR3 ECC Registered |Debian 10
    Desktop Asrock 79 ext4 | Intel Xeon E2650 | 16GB DDR3 1600 | Debian 10
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron I5 7567 | Manjaro 20.2

Chanath is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Well, CentOS isn't dead, only it became CentOS Stream. You can use the existing CentOS until 31st December 2021. Or, you can transfer your existing CentOS to CentOS Stream, and it never becomes EOL. OpenSuse Tumbleweed also never becomes EOL. They are not that unstable. I use OpenSuse Tumbleweed, so I know.
    Ubuntu development release only stops for few weeks, until a new repo name is finalised.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

And there I was thinking that I had taken this thread off topic!

One reason why we are discussing CentOS here is that sometimes we like a good discussion. We get different points of view. It is a way of keeping the forum active.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

They are not that unstable. I use OpenSuse Tumbleweed, so I know.
    stable means that packages stay the same. you get only security patches, but to same package version. so Tumbleweed and stream are in fact very unstable.

there are apps other apps out there that you need to first test them out, see if everything works, and only then do the upgrade. the upgrades usually take about 6 months to complete. depends on the changes and how testing goes. we are for example we are just doing major ERP upgrade which will take us about 4 months. for PC OS we use windows 10 business and they don't get any OS upgrades for couple of years (mine is i believe 2 or 3 years old and even that one was pushed by me). before the first upgrade is due things need to be tested first. also before applying updates that are automatically pushed to home users, they test them. so even if we get only security patches they are often delayed for us (unless they are urgent).

that's normal. we are medium sized company and have 6000+ PC. you don't want any to fail. or cause some chain issue. when you are at home, you get an issue, search the web and maybe within same or next day you are able to find a solution. if you are a company you can't afford to loose minutes. 7 years ago they calculated that for every hour we have some sort of a downtime we lose about 300.000 EUR. based on income now this has more than doubled.

my point is stable is what businesses need. and many uses CentOS to test before moving to Redhat. you can't test 4 month only to find that in the mean time packages you were testing against changed 7 times. many also used it as go to software for servers. especially smaller companies.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Well, CentOS isn't dead, only it became CentOS Stream.
    If not technically dead, then certainly undead. What's left will be an animated corpse—a zombie. It would be no different than if Canonical decided to stop issuing LTS and just stuck to Standard releases. I would leave. So would most others… in droves. As I already stated:
    A 10 year support cycle is a tremendous advantage and just what the doctor ordered for many use cases.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Welcome new development on this issue: https://www.theregister.com/2021/03/...table_release/

Not sure the RHEL/IBM flywheels will like it, but phooey on them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Red Hat's announcement was like a kick in the guts out of the blue. I had been considering changing one of my web servers to CentOS from Ubuntu. Sigh.

I hope one of the distros in the article succeeds.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast