Thread: Sound settings not seeing the audio card

Beans

Sound settings not seeing the audio card

Ubuntu 20.10, Gnome 3.38.1.

All of the sudden the Gnome sound settings is not seeing any output devices in the Settings/Sound dropdown menu. The sound playback is actually working. Alsa Mixer can control the volume, but my dedicated volume up/down keys, mute mic/speakers keys, and their corresponding LEDs are not working. The volume slider in Settings/Sound has no effect.

I reinstalled pulseaudio, let it reubuild ~/.config/pulse. That didn't help. Then I created a new user. The new user has the sound control. Therefore the problem is not system-wide. I'm guessing it may be Gnome related. The only Gnome relevant thing I did before I lost the sound control was to disable the built-in Desktop Icons in Extensions and add Desktop Icons ng (ding) extension in Tweaks.

I appreciate any tips to regain the sound control.

Beans

Re: Sound settings not seeing the audio card

Please use this guide
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/So...otingProcedure

Give the output of step 3

Thanks

Beans

Re: Sound settings not seeing the audio card

The issue had to do with Pulseaudio. The daemon was not able to start due to changed permissions somewhere in the affected user's home directory. The Pulseaudio log gave:
    E: [pulseaudio] core-util.c: Home directory not accessible: Permission denied

Which was easy to solve with:
    sudo chown -R $USER:$USER $HOME/