Thread: My password list is empty

Beans

My password list is empty

The issue has been going on for 2-3 months: my password manager doesn't show my saved passwords anymore.
    My passwords are still being populated on log-ins and the offer to save user name and password is still working. The new passwords are being saved and retrieved on log-in.
    I just cannot edit or delete my stored passwords.
    I am running Chromium Version 86.0.4240.75 (Official Build) Built on Ubuntu , running on Ubuntu 16.04 (64-bit)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: My password list is empty

Would this be the builtin password manager included with Chromium or an extension?
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Yes that is the built-in password manager

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by aneblanc View Post
    Yes that is the built-in password manager
    Doesn't that seem like a really, really, bad idea?

Browsers are some of the most complex and bug-filled software that we use daily. How much effort do you think the programming team for a browser actually spends on the built-in password management code? Do they make it secure? Do they make it bug free? How many users actually would use it?

I use a password manager, but would never trust a browser or browser add-on or automatic entries. I have hundreds of passwords/passphrases and keep all sorts of other data in my password manager DB that have no reason to be part of any browser. Using the built-in password management in a browser fails both my "smells bad" and "common sense" tests.

Just sayin'.

Not sure I'd even trust it for login credentials to a cat-video-only website, but less anything important. Heck, I run browsers inside sandboxes or containers because they cannot be trusted just to handle normal browsing tasks.

Web browsers are full of bugs - though I use Lynx and dillo a bunch for better performance. Both are much more simple than the monstrous, popular, browsers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I don't use the built-in password managers because of security. There are password managers not browser based available for Linux . I use a cross platform one for Windows , Linux, and Android if needed . You'll have do some research and choose one that you think will work best.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I am a happy user of keepassxc https://keepassxc.org/

Available via the repository

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just saw this today.

We can't believe people use browsers to manage their passwords, says maker of password management tools
    https://www.theregister.com/2021/07/...aviours_study/
    "More than a third of employees continue to save passwords within their internet browsers on all of their personal and work devices," said Carson. "By cracking only one of those devices, an attacker can easily access all the passwords stored within the user’s browser. This makes it so much easier for an attacker to elevate privileges without being detected and gain access to the user’s email, company cloud applications, or even sensitive data.
    I use KeepassXC on Linux and different .kdbx compatible tools on other platforms.