Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Desktop Doesn't Load w/ Kernel Version 5.4.0-56-generic

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Beans
    10

    Desktop Doesn't Load w/ Kernel Version 5.4.0-56-generic

    Hello, about a week ago I started up my Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS Desktop and it would perform the following start-up sequence:


    1. Ubuntu logo (it would sit on this longer than usual)
    2. Spinning icon w/ Ubuntu logo
    3. Suddenly display a list of all the loaded components (too quickly for me to read but looked all green as far as I can tell)
    4. Then a black screen followed by a blinking cursor
    5. The screen would then go black to blinking cursor, black, blinking cursor, etc. (about 5 times)
    6. Then settle on the black screen with blinking cursor and not change there-after.


    I tried escaping into Terminal (Ctrl+Shift+F2?) but it doesn't respond. Ctrl+Alt+Del does result in a restart though. I have software that runs on startup that I can monitor over the Internet and it tells me the OS is loading properly as the software is working it's just the desktop environment isn't loading. During troubleshooting I clicked ESC during start-up to escape into the GRUB2 menu and selected the advanced start-up options at which time I tried booting into Ubuntu with the previous kernel listed (5.4.0-54-generic) and for the past few days it has been working perfectly. The desktop environment is loading once again perfectly fine.

    So I don't know if I have a hardware incompatibility with Kernel 5.4.0-56-generic, if it's a bug, if it's conflicting with another piece of software on the system, or what.

    Specs:
    AMD TR 1950X
    4x8GB DDR4 2400MHz from G.Skill
    ASUS PRIME X399-A motherboard
    2x Sapphire Tri-X R9-290X's
    Corsair AX1200i
    Broadcom BCM57810
    Samsung 960PRO 1TB NVMe SSD

    My own guesses: I installed the AMD GPU driver from the AMD website so I could have OpenCL support for compute applications. Maybe it has something to do with that?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    601

    Re: Desktop Doesn't Load w/ Kernel Version 5.4.0-56-generic

    Do not know if it works the same for AMD, but if secure boot is enabled, then nivida drivers can have problems being installed/working.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Galiza
    Beans
    3,952
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Desktop Doesn't Load w/ Kernel Version 5.4.0-56-generic

    Yes, it's the same problem at least for the proprietary AMD drivers the OP installed.
    And, in the case of this hardware, newer kernel versions are also recommended.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Beans
    10

    Re: Desktop Doesn't Load w/ Kernel Version 5.4.0-56-generic

    Quote Originally Posted by crip720 View Post
    Do not know if it works the same for AMD, but if secure boot is enabled, then nivida drivers can have problems being installed/working.
    Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    Yes, it's the same problem at least for the proprietary AMD drivers the OP installed.
    And, in the case of this hardware, newer kernel versions are also recommended.
    So both of you believe the issue is likely the proprietary AMD driver needs updating to work with the newer kernel?

    Would you happen to know if I can just install over the old driver or if I have to figure out how to do a proper un-installation of it? (I think there's an uninstall script somewhere...)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    601

    Re: Desktop Doesn't Load w/ Kernel Version 5.4.0-56-generic

    Depends if you have secure boot enabled, if not then a different problem. I just went with simple fix first. If secure boot enabled in bios, try with it disabled first. CelticWarrior is probably thinking of using the 5.8 kernel, but I will let him explain better.
    Last edited by crip720; December 6th, 2020 at 11:13 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Galiza
    Beans
    3,952
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Desktop Doesn't Load w/ Kernel Version 5.4.0-56-generic

    Quote Originally Posted by windows7ge View Post
    So both of you believe the issue is likely the proprietary AMD driver needs updating to work with the newer kernel?
    No, quite the misunderstanding there.
    I said newer kernel versions are usually recommended for better support of your AMD hardware. It has nothing to do with the proprietary AMD graphics drivers.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Beans
    10

    Re: Desktop Doesn't Load w/ Kernel Version 5.4.0-56-generic

    Quote Originally Posted by crip720 View Post
    Depends if you have secure boot enabled, if not then a different problem. I just went with simple fix first. If secure boot enabled in bios, try with it disabled first. CelticWarrior is probably thinking of using the 5.8 kernel, but I will let him explain better.
    I tried disabling secure boot and it made no difference.

    Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    No, quite the misunderstanding there.
    I said newer kernel versions are usually recommended for better support of your AMD hardware. It has nothing to do with the proprietary AMD graphics drivers.
    Do you have a particular version in mind? 5.8 as crip720 mentioned? I hope it should be possible to install one with the likes of Ukuu without it or the system deleting the kernel I know still works.

    If the information is worth anything I have plans to step up to the RX 6800XT. I've been told it plays very friendly with VFIO.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Galiza
    Beans
    3,952
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Desktop Doesn't Load w/ Kernel Version 5.4.0-56-generic

    Yes, 5.8 or newer.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Beans
    10

    Re: Desktop Doesn't Load w/ Kernel Version 5.4.0-56-generic

    Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    Yes, 5.8 or newer.
    Alright.

    Apparently Ukuu is no longer free...I know I used a CLI kernel updater a long while ago. If I can remember what it was called...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    51.8° N 5.8° E
    Beans
    5,773
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

    Re: Desktop Doesn't Load w/ Kernel Version 5.4.0-56-generic

    If you install linux-generic-hwe-20.04-edge on Ubuntu 20.04, you'll get the 5.8 kernel from the official repositories.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •