Thread: Optimizing GRUB2 for AMD2 CPU, nForce 780 chipset and Fermi GPU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Question Optimizing GRUB2 for AMD2 CPU, nForce 780 chipset and Fermi GPU

As of December 2020 I am doing pre-installation testing of a resto-modded emachines®/acer® EL1210-09 (Acer Computer Corp. DA078L: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon LE-1620 (AMD2) currently installed, Athlon x2 BE-2400 (AMD2) shortlisted for upgrade; nVIDIA® nForce® 785 MCP (integrated 64-bit geForce® GPU by-passed); msi® GT610-1GD3-LP (nVIDIA® GF119 GPU, 1 GiB VRAM)) and have a need to ascertain what modes the GF119 will support in Grand Unified Bootloader 2.04 and subsequent (package grub-pc; EFI not relevant this system). Had to install the nVIDIA 390 driver set for Kernel 5.4.0-nn-generic due to a quirk in the nF785 MCP; nouveau will NOT complete shutdowns and/or restarts. I'd like to be able to support Kernel 5.4.0-nn-lowloatency should that become a necessity. In /etc/default/grub, what options should I consider for appends to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT (currently ="debug"), GRUB_GFXMODE (currently =640x480), and GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX (currently =1280x1024, highest supported resolution in GRUB for the GF119 to drive 1680x1050maxpx display units such as the Gateway®/acer®HD2201); and what, if any, additional amendments to /etc/default/grub and/or related preconfig files used by /usr/sbin/update-grub and/or /usr/sbin/update-initramfs?
    Last edited by bcschmerker; January 18th, 2021 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Addendum: Planar make and model.
    Video Drivers:
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Kepler and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Lightbulb [SOLVED] Optimizing GRUB2 for AMD2 CPU, nForce 780 chipset and Fermi GPU

Discovered solution on my own: The Kernel loads the VESA BIOS Extension mode quite early in the boot process. The final /etc/default/grub (comments redacted):
    Code:
    GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
    GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    #GRUB_EARLY_INITRD_LINUX_STOCK="microcode.cpio"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="vga=775"
    GRUB_BACKGROUND="ubuntu_GRUB2_Splash1.png"
    #GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"
    #GRUB_TERMINAL=console
    GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x1024x8
    GRUB_GFXTERM_FONT="u_vga16.pf2"
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text
    #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true
    #GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"
    GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 880 1"
    Last edited by bcschmerker; January 13th, 2021 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Amended /etc/default/grub.
    Video Drivers:
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Kepler and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thumbs up Re: Optimizing GRUB2 for AMD2 CPU, nForce 780 chipset and Fermi GPU

Late-breaking addendum: I did some additional tuning to the Boot parameters. ACPI complains about nvidia-340 not present, but I found nvidia-340 to hang the EL1210; judging from nVIDIA Corporation's non-support of Tesla and sooner in LinUX Kernels 5.8.0-*-*, I'm treating nvidia-340 as a WontFix. Working with a buggy BIOS (Acer Computer Inc. never released an upgrade to fix the ACPI tables), I have GRUB tuned as follows (comments redacted):
    Code:
    GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null  || echo Debian`
    GRUB_EARLY_INITRD_STOCK=microcode.cpio
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="agp=off lp=off acpi_rev_override amd_iommu=off atkbd.set=3"
    GRUB_VIDEO_BACKEND=vbe
    GRUB_BACKGROUND="/boot/grub/images/ubuntu_GRUB2_Splash1.png"
    GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768x8
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep
    GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"
    The planar nVIDIA C77 rev. a2 works fine on the X.org VESA Driver in the limited capacity I assigned it. Eventually I'll have to replace the GF119 with a GK208, nVIDIA Corporation intending to pull the plug on Fermi support in Kernel 5.10.
    Last edited by bcschmerker; May 11th, 2021 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Erratum: Fermi canned in Kernel 5.10.
    Video Drivers: