Thread: Problem with Graphics

Beans

Problem with Graphics

Hi

I'm new to Linux and Ubuntu and need help to solve an encountered problem.

Recently I bought a new computer with the GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER graphics card installed. As it is was my intention to use this comptuer for machine learning I tried to install the CUDA toolkit 11.1 from developer.nvidia.com/cuda-download after having installed first Ubuntu 20.04.

Unfortunately the installation failed and terminated at 88 % complete.

When I tried restarting the computer after this the graphics seem to have gotten messed up and even after erasing the disk and re-installing the OS the problem remains. There must have been something which changed on a level outside of the OS therefore I imagine. Now there is only a primitive gnu grub text interface being displayed. However it is possible to run the device in "Try Ubuntu" mode with a USB plugged in. There I can install Ubuntu again and it can be run until restart which triggers the same gnu grub interface.

I'm wondering if it is possible to use either the BIOS, 'Try Ubuntu' mode or a flash drive in order to restore or change the graphics card / drivers to some other state?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Problem with Graphics

Welcome.

First of all there's no reason for when installing the second time, doing the same as before, and obtain different results. There must be something you're doing differently.

Let's start with the obvious: Disable Secure Boot in UEFI.
    Then reinstall Ubuntu 20.04 making sure to select installation of drivers, codecs, etc. This should install the correct Nvidia driver. Then install Cuda from the Ubuntu repositories as well, not from the Nvidia binary.

Beans

Yes, now after following the steps you mentioned it worked out and the Cuda installation was successful as well with the Ubuntu repositories. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You're welcome.

Please use the thread tools to select solved. It helps future readers.