Thread: React OS, Anyone?

Hybrid View

O)9(yo&# is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

React OS, Anyone?

Has anyone actually gotten React to boot? I've tried three different versions, both Live and Boot CD, and it will not boot. Even got a BSOD once (hey, it's a windows clone, of course I got a BSOD).

They've been at it for 20 years, and it won't boot, and it's still in Alpha. And then they have the audacity to ask for a donation to download it. What is going on there? does this not meet the definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over, when it doesn't work? Or is there really some point to this? I've seen on their forum that it's just a matter of time, it's going to take off like wildfire. And then they tell you not to expect a Beta for at least five years. C'mon, Comrade.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: React OS, Anyone?

If you would care to help the unpaid volunteers who take time from their busy lives to work on a bespoke community OS replicating the behavior of a closed-source operating system, they would probably appreciate the help. They don't have the resources of a multi-billion dollar company and aren't creating a retail product. The unpaid time they spend is money they don't have to feed their families. Those few who are employed are paid a pittance by what meager donations are made.

I have done several installations in virtual machines without problems. They may be at a stage right now where there are issues that did not exist before.

By the by, how much did the download cost you up front? They asked you for a donation to make a few pennies for their time. Hardly audacious.
    Last edited by QIII; December 2nd, 2020 at 08:54 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well OK, all good points. Still: 20 years? You would think at some point they would decide to move on. 20 years is a big chunk of life. then again, maybe they're into Zen or something: "The journey is the destination" kind of thing. I could buy that. Otherwise, I'd have moved on to something else a long time ago. It's not like Michelangelo painting the Sistine chapel. that was worth it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

As for donating, I have donated hundreds of dollars over the years to Linux projects, as well as a composers forum I sometimes frequent. the problem here is I can't even get the product up and running, in order to evaluate it. A donation makes no sense under these circumstances.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Having seen this thread yesterday I thought I would try it out in VirtualBox.

No major problems with that; it boots in about 10 seconds to a desktop, but the problem is, of course, that there is not a lot of useful software that you can run on it.
    Firefox-48 runs but do I trust such an old version? No way!

This was just an experiment for me having looked at it a long time ago, and though it is a very interesting idea I am not totally sure what it is useful for.

However, it does boot and it does run and maybe there is a use for something like this, though its security, or lack of it, that is my biggest worry.