Ubuntu Development Release

comprehensive dist-upgrade

For a week now,
    Code:
     :~$ sudo apt dist-upgrade Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      apport-symptoms aptdaemon-data gir1.2-goa-1.0 gir1.2-snapd-1 gir1.2-vte-2.91 libcolord-gtk1 libgl1-mesa-glx libglu1-mesa libgsound0 libgupnp-av-1.0-2 libgupnp-dlna-2.0-3 libpython3.8 librygel-core-2.6-2 librygel-db-2.6-2 librygel-renderer-2.6-2 librygel-server-2.6-2 libxatracker2 libxvmc1
      mobile-broadband-provider-info network-manager-gnome python-apt-common python3-dateutil python3-debconf python3-defer python3-distro-info python3-gdbm python3-httplib2 python3-jeepney python3-keyring python3-launchpadlib python3-lazr.restfulclient python3-lazr.uri python3-problem-report python3-requests-unixsocket
      python3-secretstorage python3-simplejson python3-systemd python3-wadllib python3-xkit rygel x11-apps x11-session-utils xfonts-scalable xinit xinput xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-input-libinput xserver-xorg-input-wacom xserver-xorg-video-all xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu xserver-xorg-video-ati
      xserver-xorg-video-fbdev xserver-xorg-video-intel xserver-xorg-video-nouveau xserver-xorg-video-qxl xserver-xorg-video-radeon xserver-xorg-video-vesa xserver-xorg-video-vmware
    Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      apport apport-gtk aptdaemon apturl apturl-common command-not-found gnome-control-center language-selector-common language-selector-gnome libtss2-esys0 nautilus-share python3-apport python3-apt python3-aptdaemon python3-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets python3-commandnotfound python3-distupgrade python3-software-properties
      python3-update-manager software-properties-common software-properties-gtk ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-desktop-minimal ubuntu-drivers-common ubuntu-release-upgrader-core ubuntu-release-upgrader-gtk ubuntu-standard unattended-upgrades update-manager update-manager-core update-notifier update-notifier-common xorg
      xserver-xorg
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      activity-log-manager libfcitx-config4 libgeonames-common libgeonames0 libtimezonemap-data libtimezonemap1 libtss2-esys-3.0.2-0 libunity-control-center1 libunity-settings-daemon1 libzeitgeist-2.0-0 policykit-1-gnome unity-control-center unity-settings-daemon zeitgeist-core
    The following packages will be upgraded:
      compizconfig-settings-manager fwupd gir1.2-rb-3.0 hplip hplip-data libhpmud0 libldb2 libpython3-stdlib librhythmbox-core10 libsane-hpaio libtalloc2 printer-driver-hpcups python3 python3-compizconfig python3-ldb python3-minimal python3-talloc rhythmbox rhythmbox-plugins
    19 upgraded, 14 newly installed, 34 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 18,5 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 11,5 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
    Abort.
    I do need xorg, or do I ?, I'm running on i3 and other simple DM's...
    Last edited by zika; December 2nd, 2020 at 06:34 AM.
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: comprehensive dist-upgrade

make a backup, let apt go.
    Did you happen to install hwe updates?
    Are you using wayland?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If you accept the removal, then the system will be broken; needing a fresh system install.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    make a backup, let apt go.
    Did you happen to install hwe updates?
    Are you using wayland?
    Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    If you accept the removal, then the system will be broken; needing a fresh system install.
    I'll wait as I did so many times before. Eventhough I'm usin' Python 3.10, at this moment, this was just a HU for all of You. Some packages are not ready for Python 3.9 and some of us are not ready for zeitgeist and other changes (some of us still like Xserver) to come again at our door...
    Last edited by zika; December 3rd, 2020 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Expanded Python version number as requested down, mea culpa.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    I'll wait as I did so many times before. Eventhough I'm usin' Python 10, at this moment, this was just a HU for all of You. Some packages are not ready for Python 3.9 and some of us are not ready for zeitgeist and other changes (some of us still like Xserver) to come again at our door...
    Never replace the system version of python. Always use some other python environment manager and be certain to disable that setup when doing system administration work.

I have a feeling that python 10 won't be out or in development for some decades. Is that a typo?
    The current OS python on 20.04 is
    Code:
    $ python3 --version
    Python 3.8.5
    Just another example of why daily, automatic, versioned, backups that have been tested for restore are necessary.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Never replace the system version of python. Always use some other python environment manager and be certain to disable that setup when doing system administration work.

I have a feeling that python 10 won't be out or in development for some decades. Is that a typo?
    The current OS python on 20.04 is
    Code:
    $ python3 --version
    Python 3.8.5
    Just another example of why daily, automatic, versioned, backups that have been tested for restore are necessary.
    OK, thank You...
    Code:
    :~$ python3 --version 
    Python 3.10.0a2
    Still, it does not have any connection with important matter in this thread...
    Waiting for those packages to catch up with Python 3.9 and to see how to fight with ZeitGeist...
    Resolved, mistake was mine, I was using some PPA's that just now crossed edition line. Thank You all for bearing me...
    Last edited by zika; December 16th, 2020 at 11:01 AM.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.