Thread: Firefox can't stream videos?!

Beans

Firefox can't stream videos?!

My Firefox browser is no longer capable of streaming videos on websites like Netflix, Udemy, or Crunchyroll!

3 days ago, I wiped my Windows OS from my laptop and switched to Ubuntu for the first time ever. I love it so far and there's no going back! But my understanding of Linux is still very basic, and I don't know how to solve this problem with streaming videos. The ONLY place I can watch videos on the browser is on YouTube for some reason. I googled for solutions, but the only thing I found was to install some codecs (not sure what those are yet) with
    Code:
    sudo apt install libavcodec-extra
    and when I do that, it brings up some Microsoft agreement that I can't move forward with because nothing lets me proceed with the modal! Any advice here??

Beans

Re: Firefox can't stream videos?!

If the videos use DRM content protection, you need to enable Settings > Preferences > Play DRM Controlled Content

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by dvill110 View Post
    ... it brings up some Microsoft agreement that I can't move forward with because nothing lets me proceed with the modal! Any advice here??
    When you encounter some kind of menu in a terminal, try the tab key to select a button and enter to hit it. Other useful keys: arrows, space, escape. The mouse doesn't work in a terminal.

Beans

Does Chrome work OK?

Beans

My Firefox browser is no longer capable of streaming videos on websites like Netflix, Udemy, or Crunchyroll!

3 days ago, I wiped my Windows OS from my laptop and switched to Ubuntu for the first time ever. I love it so far and there's no going back! But my understanding of Linux is still very basic, and I don't know how to solve this problem with streaming videos. The ONLY place I can watch videos on the browser is on YouTube for some reason. I googled for solutions, but the only thing I found was to install some codecs (not sure what those are yet) with
    Code:
    sudo apt install libavcodec-extra
    and when I do that, it brings up some Microsoft agreement that I can't move forward with because nothing lets me proceed with the modal! Any advice here??
    I'm using Ubuntu 20.04.1 and here's all I do to get DVDs to play.

Open the terminal and copy and paste this command then press enter and if needed enter your password.

Code:
    sudo apt install libdvd-pkg
    When that is finished then copy and paste this command into the terminal and press enter.

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg
    When finished close everything and restart your computer.
    Last edited by poorguy; December 2nd, 2020 at 03:18 PM.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

My Firefox browser is no longer capable of streaming videos on websites like Netflix, Udemy, or Crunchyroll
    What version of Ubuntu?

I haven't had a problem playing videos from Netflix or Crunchy for years.

In the Firefox menu, go to Add-ons and make sure the "Widevine" module is set to "Always Activate." Click first on the module, then on the three dots in the upper-right-hand side of the description that appears. Make sure it is set to Always Activate.

You don't need any other software to stream video like libavcodec-extra.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS

Chrome actually has no issues. Just checked Widevine and it was already set to Always Activate! No fix.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    When you encounter some kind of menu in a terminal, try the tab key to select a button and enter to hit it. Other useful keys: arrows, space, escape. The mouse doesn't work in a terminal.
    Thanks. I found out that it was an ncurses style menu and the tab thing worked. I accepted the terms and it looks like the issue is solved, I can stream Netflix and Udemy and Crunchyroll. I still don't understand what problem and solution was lol, but it's working now!