Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: HPLIP and ipp-usb, what's up????

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Beans
    555

    HPLIP and ipp-usb, what's up????

    Something curious I noticed after upgrading 19.10 to 20.04 and then again from 20.04 to 20.10. There seems to be a sea-change in terms of how USB printers are handled in Ubuntu and maybe Linux in general. I've tended to own HP printers primarily for their support in Linux via the HPLIP package. That package always did a great job of supporting all the specialized features of the multi-function printers very well, e.g. optical disc printing, various tray selections, photo printing, glossy paper support, ink level reporting, head cleaning, cartridge alignment, test pages, etc...

    When I updated to 20.04 the first thing I noticed is that the hp-systray utility could no longer see my printer. Long story short, I found out that a package called "ippusbxd" got installed during the update and took over the driver functions for my printer. Same thing happened when I updated to 20.10, except a newer package called "ipp-usb" got installed and basically did the same thing.

    Is the intention to deprecate vendor specific driver and supporting software for printers under Linux? How does making USB printers look like network printers help us end-users in terms of special support that tends to only show up in the specific driver packages? I'm fearful of losing functionality. Maybe this is unfounded but right now I don't understand how a generic driver is supposed to support all those special features found on the various models.

    I found various links and discussions about these changes but not in terms of my concerns.

    https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...b/+bug/1891157

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Forida
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: HPLIP and ipp-usb, what's up????

    https://www.pwg.org/ipp/everywhere.html

    It is my understanding that Linux is finally using the built in drivers that Macs & Windows use.


    Driverless printing support is now available.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BionicBeaver/ReleaseNotes
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    1,464

    Re: HPLIP and ipp-usb, what's up????

    Quote Originally Posted by mocha View Post
    Is the intention to deprecate vendor specific driver and supporting software for printers under Linux? How does making USB printers look like network printers help us end-users in terms of special support that tends to only show up in the specific driver packages? I'm fearful of losing functionality. Maybe this is unfounded but right now I don't understand how a generic driver is supposed to support all those special features found on the various models.
    The intention is make printer installation as easy and effortless as plugging in a mouse by leveraging the changes in modern printer technology. AFAIK, all the features of an MFD are discovered and presented by CUPS/cups-filters from querying the printer or via the printer's web interface.

    ipp-usb has replaced ippusbxd because it does a much better job. Turning a USB connected device into a network device makes it possible to discover and support the device's attributes via IPP.
    Brian.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Beans
    555

    Re: HPLIP and ipp-usb, what's up????

    Quote Originally Posted by brian_p View Post
    The intention is make printer installation as easy and effortless as plugging in a mouse by leveraging the changes in modern printer technology. AFAIK, all the features of an MFD are discovered and presented by CUPS/cups-filters from querying the printer or via the printer's web interface.

    ipp-usb has replaced ippusbxd because it does a much better job. Turning a USB connected device into a network device makes it possible to discover and support the device's attributes via IPP.
    But how does this work? Even in Windows you need to load the OEM's driver software to reveal functions that are specific to a particular printer. I thought this was the intention of software such as HPLIP. How can CUPS contain all of the "stuff" that is included with HPLIP as well as every other printer manufacturer? For example, a number of years back if you had an HP MFD we had the option of loading the gutenprint packages and plugins, or we could load HPLIP. If you loaded gutenprint, it worked fairly well for basic letter size and photos. But if you wanted to use the optical disc printer tray or other special functions then you had to use HPLIP.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    1,464

    Re: HPLIP and ipp-usb, what's up????

    Quote Originally Posted by mocha View Post
    But how does this work? Even in Windows you need to load the OEM's driver software to reveal functions that are specific to a particular printer. I thought this was the intention of software such as HPLIP. How can CUPS contain all of the "stuff" that is included with HPLIP as well as every other printer manufacturer? For example, a number of years back if you had an HP MFD we had the option of loading the gutenprint packages and plugins, or we could load HPLIP. If you loaded gutenprint, it worked fairly well for basic letter size and photos. But if you wanted to use the optical disc printer tray or other special functions then you had to use HPLIP.
    Practically every printer sold in the past five to eight years uses the IPP protocol. All major vendors have standardised on this protocol and employ it via their devices' firmware. From that point of view, all printer manufacturers are the same (barring any buggy firmware). HP cannot claim that its version of IPP is better than Brother's, provided both have diligently implemented what the is printer capable of in the firmware. The printing system can discover what the firmware offers in terms of print quality, paper type, media size, trays etc.

    Almost every printer sold in the past five to eight years offers AirPrint. AirPrint certification from Apple requires the printer to accept Apple raster. CUPS+cups-filters hasn't any problem producing and sending Apple raster. From that point of view, all printer manufacturers use a common printer language. Epson cannot claim that its version of Airprint is better than Canon's.

    In the example you give, different drivers are involved. Gutenprint had probably not figured out how to print satisfactorily on a DVD, whereas HP had the edge. Nowadays, a user does not need to change drivers when using a different printer.
    Brian.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Beans
    555

    Re: HPLIP and ipp-usb, what's up????

    Thanks for the info. I'm actually getting convinced to try it out. Is it as simple as installing ipp-usb and then creating a printer within the cups interface or the DE tools? I use XFCE primarily. Can I try it out without removing HPLIP in case I don't want to mess everything up?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    1,464

    Re: HPLIP and ipp-usb, what's up????

    Quote Originally Posted by mocha View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'm actually getting convinced to try it out. Is it as simple as installing ipp-usb and then creating a printer within the cups interface or the DE tools? I use XFCE primarily. Can I try it out without removing HPLIP in case I don't want to mess everything up?
    Yes, it's as simple as that. Actually, the print queue should be auto-created by cups-browsed when the printer is plugged in. HPLIP can be left on the system.

    What is your device model?
    Brian.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Beans
    555

    Re: HPLIP and ipp-usb, what's up????

    Quote Originally Posted by brian_p View Post
    Yes, it's as simple as that. Actually, the print queue should be auto-created by cups-browsed when the printer is plugged in. HPLIP can be left on the system.

    What is your device model?
    HP Envy 5540

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •