Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grub - Accidentally deleted grub partition.

Beans

Re: Grub - Accidentally deleted grub partition.

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    What I suspect you removed was a very small, 1-2M approx, FAT32 partition, flagged as bios_grub which is essential for using GPT partitioning in a BIOS/MBR system.

Using a legacy (not UEFI) live boot to any of the Ubuntu family of OSs run gparted and create again that small bios_grub partition, probably at the start of the disk though I think it can be anywhere on disk. You may then be able to install grub again from the live system, using command
    Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    assuming you have only one hard disk /dev/sda.

I am assuming here that doing this in a GPT formatted system still works as it used to on msdos formatted system but you may wish to wait for more replies before going ahead with this final command.
    Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    Installing for i386-pc platform.
    grub-install: error: failed to get canonical path of `/cow'.
    ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    What I suspect you removed was a very small, 1-2M approx, FAT32 partition, flagged as bios_grub which is essential for using GPT partitioning in a BIOS/MBR system.

Using a legacy (not UEFI) live boot to any of the Ubuntu family of OSs run gparted and create again that small bios_grub partition, probably at the start of the disk though I think it can be anywhere on disk. You may then be able to install grub again from the live system, using command
    Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    assuming you have only one hard disk /dev/sda.

I am assuming here that doing this in a GPT formatted system still works as it used to on msdos formatted system but you may wish to wait for more replies before going ahead with this final command.
    Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    Installing for i386-pc platform.
    grub-install: error: failed to get canonical path of `/cow'.
    ??

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

We know that you deleted some partitions, making your system unbootable. We suspect that you deleted a bios_grub partition. That can be fixed. But something doesn't add up: A bios_grub partition is used to boot a legacy system on a GTP drive. That's fine with Ubuntu, but you write that Windows is installed on the same drive. The problem is, Windows cannot be booted from a GTP drive in legacy mode – at least, that's what I've always been told. So either Windows is on a different drive, or the drive isn't GPT partitioned, or the system is in UEFI mode.

Without knowing exactly what's going on, we can't give you a command that fixes your problem.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

As Impavidus in post #4 it would make a lot of sense for you to run the boot info script, not a default repair, by following the instructions for Boot-Repair in my signature.
    Post back the pastebin link you get and we will have much more detail about your system which may help sort out the many uncertainties seen so far.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12