Thread: Advice needed for purchase of a headset and mouse

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Advice needed for purchase of a headset and mouse

Hi,

I have an XPS13 9300 and am using Ubuntu to play Minecraft with my children and grandchildren because of the Covid situation. Normally I never ever play games.

However, to play I am told that the mic on the machine and the wireless mouse I have been using are really no good for playing this game.

The mouse gets into fits of bashing everything now and again and the mic picks up surrounding sound.

My eldest son using top of the range equipment because he is a 'gamer' on Microsoft systems. But, I don't want to spend the sort of money he spends because of the little use I will make of it.

I could just say, "Ok my top spend is £xx amount" and search for the equipment but it needs to be Ubunto compatible and be for Minecraft level of gaming.

I suppose my first thought 'top' spend would be about £100 for each item but could be stretched is necessary.

So, suggestions needed from anyone who takes part in a little gaming would be much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Advice needed for purchase of a headset and mouse

Any wired headset should be fine; it's the wireless ones that might have issues. Or you could just get a directional microphone.

For mice with extra buttons, features, or lights, checking that they're supported by Piper is a sensible step. That is able to configure all of those things.

Your mouse issue sounds like your mouse just isn't very high quality rather than it not being targeted towards gaming: either the switch is getting stuck or the connection is getting dropped.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thanks for you input.

The mouse was cheap but at that time suitable.

I will check what 'Piper' is but in the meantime I am looking at:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...KL5A1OLE&psc=1

and this mouse:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Li...ef_=ast_sto_dp

Looked at piper buy a bit lost lol. I see a 905 listed on libratbag but again lost

The Arctis 7 is no good because its a wired charger so will have to be:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCTIS-WIRE...eogames&sr=1-2
    Last edited by makem2; November 28th, 2020 at 04:57 PM.

Beans

My (adult) daughter is a pretty avid gamer and only uses wired keyboards and mice to avoid lag.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    My (adult) daughter is a pretty avid gamer and only uses wired keyboards and mice to avoid lag.
    Me too. Plus, no chance for interference, nor reliance on a (potentially shoddy) Bluetooth chip and tiny antenna.

Quote Originally Posted by makem2 View Post
    I will check what 'Piper' is...
    Looked at piper buy a bit lost lol. I see a 905 listed on libratbag but again lost
    The G903 that you've picked out is on the list of supported devices. Logitech stuff is, in general, a reasonable choice: they have reasonable (but not amazing) build quality for the price, and they don't do anything really weird as a "value add." Razer stuff fails on both those counts. I use a Steelseries Rival 310, since it works well, has good specs, and doesn't look too hideous, although I'd personally prefer it if it were a bit heavier.

I don't know if it's a function of the Amazon links, but they were showing wireless headsets to me. If you specifically want a wireless headset then you'd want to establish that your current mouse problem isn't actually a Bluetooth problem. I've got some (AKG) Bluetooth headphones that work really well with my laptop and phone, but I've not had Bluetooth on a desktop that wasn't really flaky: it's one of those YMMV things.

When I was still doing multiplayer gaming I used a Steelseries Siberia, that they don't make any more, and it was fine. They were pretty terrible as headphones because they put so much prominence on speech frequencies, but that's actually what you want for multiplayer comms. The microphone was clear and directional, and rolled up into one of the cans when you weren't using it. I'm sure the hardware on the newer versions will be solid with the wired versions. Going wireless, though, means that you have a battery to worry about and a (potentially unsupported) sound card over a (potentially flaky) Bluetooth connection.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I didnt mean to put links to headsets in that instance , my bad. The mouse problem is not bluetooth as I use a wireless dongle for it.

I would like a wireless mouse with a small dongle, not a puck as its permanently connect to my lappy. I don't want Bluetooth as I have had problems occasionally. The G903 looks ok but it does not say how it charges or anything about the dongle that I saw but I do need to investigate further.

As for headset, Ive looked the SteelSeries Arctis 1 Wireless but dont like the headband. I much prefer the 7 but it has a puck

Any suggestions for a headset like the 7 without a puck to drag around when I move place

Edit: I forgot to mention that the headset needs to be USB C
    Last edited by makem2; November 28th, 2020 at 10:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro

The G903 looks ok but it does not say how it charges or anything about the dongle that I saw but I do need to investigate further.
    I think Logitech wireless stuff all uses the same dongle, so if you have a mouse and keyboard, say, you only need the one dongle. It looks like it plugs in to charge, or you can buy an optional wireless charging pad.

Any suggestions for a headset like the 7 without a puck to drag around when I move place
    I would personally steer away from the wireless audio. Wired audio has been essentially unchanged for a century, so there's not a lot of scope to mess with it. The wireless stuff is more vulnerable, and the Steelseries Engine software is exactly the kind of "value add" thing that companies like to use to selectively uncripple their hardware. For my mouse I didn't care because it was a standard USB mouse and I knew that Piper could configure the rest, but for wireless audio it's possible to make it so that an OS can't even see the device without the manufacturer's special sauce. If you do go that route, make sure the place you buy it from has a good returns policy, just in case.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I still cannot find if the G903 miniUSB receiver connects to the laoptop via a cable. I feel it must and if so it's a puck dangling as you move the laptop and therefore no good to me.
    Last edited by makem2; November 29th, 2020 at 12:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I still cannot find if the G903 miniUSB receiver connects to the laoptop via a cable. I feel it must and if so it's a puck dangling as you move the laptop and therefore no good to me.
    Why would you assume that?

https://kickofftech.com/wp-content/u...troduction.jpg
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

I have Logitech M-series mice, and they all use a tiny dongle that protudes less than a half-inch from the body of the laptop.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users