Thread: Have you upgraded to 20.04?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Have you upgraded to 20.04?

Quote Originally Posted by michael351 View Post
    …Just curious how others have upgraded.
    I have upgraded both ways on various machines with varying success for either method.

• My main box is multi‑boot. On that box, my main and second partitions have been successfully network upgraded from Precise to Trusty to Bionic and now to Focal. That's 3 LTS upgrades with only minor problems along the way. Nothing that could not be figured out with a little cussedness and the help of fellow forum members.
    • The third partition is more experimental: it contains a standard release on LVM for easy snapshots. This one has had bigger problems, sometimes necessitating scratch upgrades. Most network upgrades go well, but not all. Because they are standard releases, the problems do not surprise me.
    • Mrs DuckHook's machine and any of half dozen assorted laptops, spare desktops, R-PIs, etc are usually network upgraded with only minor problems.
    • I run a half dozen different servers. They are typically network upgraded with few problems. This is also expected since they are much simpler, with no GUIs and stripped down to only the most minimal services. There's simply less that can go wrong.

I suppose I should explain what I mean by "minor problems". I don't consider the following to be a big deal. They just require a bit of tuning or a workaround:
    1. Broken sound (fixed by nuking old pulseaudio config)
    2. Dropped printers (fixed with newer hplip database)
    3. Strange artefacts in DE (fixed by clearing out old caches)
    4. Poor, stuttering video with dropouts (fixed by changing from Totem to VLC)

Bigger problems have been:
    1. No video at all (regression in kernel)
    2. No network (driver dropped from kernel)
    3. End of 32-bit support (still 2 years of breathing space, but will ultimately be forced to use Debian)

Bigger problems can stump me. Sometimes, as in the case of 32-bit EoL, there's no other option but to drop Ubuntu altogether.

Beans

Tried upgrading 8.04 to 12.04 - failed miserably so did a fresh instal. Since then, I just back-up my data and do a fresh install of the LTS. I generally only upgrade to every other LTS version.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pushbike06 View Post
    Sorry about this dual post but was not aware that the latest post is placed at top and not appended.
    Not with the default thread display mode, it doesn’t. Have you changed your thread display mode under general settings in your profile settings? Default is oldest first. Sounds like you may have changed it to newest first. There are two other display mode settings, which I’ve never found useful. Beware.
    Last edited by coffeecat; November 27th, 2020 at 03:55 PM.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

What is the main benefit of upgrading to 20.04 over 18.04 in your case?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Because I help out on these forums, I must keep reasonably current. That's an unusual motivation for most folks.

To be frank, were it not for this reason, there's not a lot of incentive to upgrade. Mrs DH had been happily running on Precise (16.04) until I upgraded her last month. Since Precise is EoL in April, I convinced her it was time, but barring that, she would have been perfectly happy staying with a four‑year old version.

I still have servers running Bionic. Many of the power users here are still running 18.04. There's no reason not to.

I suppose that, because the world is addicted to the latest and greatest, you will tend to find better support on the forums with the latest LTS release, but if 18.04 is running rock steady for you, then there's no need for support in the first place.

There's nothing wrong with running 18.04. And in the case of my 32-bit server, upgrading is not even an option.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Since you didn't specify a specific person and we can't read your mind, I'll answer too.

If I need to replace an OS, then I want to minimize the number of times I have do that. I want systems that run, for as long at possible, with the minimal number of hassles. Changing an OS is a hassle. With 5 yrs of support, it isn't hard to skip an entire LTS (releases are every 2 yrs), which reduces the hassle-factor 50% just with that single choice.

Plus, by avoiding being an early adopter for important systems, most of the major stuff that is broken will be fixed in a few months after an LTS release. Businesses are known to wait until the .1 of an LTS release happens. For 20.04, the .1 happened a few months ago.

My networking needs are often a little more complex than that for a typical home Ubuntu user. This means when some of the more complex network capabilities don't work with an LTS, as happened with 18.04 (which took over 18 months to get to the point I could us it), then any incentive to run that OS are lowered. When I needed a new email gateway server and 18.04 networking wasn't ready, I deployed a Debian server instead. OTOH, when I wanted to deploy a pi-hole into an LXD container last April, 20.04 wasn't ready for my needs, so it got 18.04. I think that's the only 18.04 system I have today.

Today, if I were deploying any new desktop or new server for someone else, I'd go with 20.04.1 - unless they hated Snap packages, then for desktops, I would push them towards Linux-Mint or Debian Stable. If they don't know anything about snap packages, then Ubuntu is fine. They may or may not have issues, but that is a bridge every individual will fall from in their own time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I'm a typical average user but both my wife and I find 20.04 looks good and is a little smoother (for want of a better word) than 18.04. My wife's laptop was pre-loaded with 20.04 ( Starlabs Labtop) and after using it for a while, I upgraded mine to 20.04.1. It's pretty customisable and my ageing HP8460p brick is running pretty slick.

Just tried Mate and Xubuntu in Virtualbox, but for our needs Ubuntu does it all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Have you upgraded to 20.04?...
    Not yet for myself; though I did do an Xubuntu 20.04 install (clean/fresh install) for another person a few months ago; it ran very well.

I'll probably wait until Xenial is EOL in April 2021 before I finally do one for myself as my 2 installs of Bionic (Ubuntu Mate and Lubuntu) are running fine. I have Ubuntu Xenial 16.04, Ubuntu Mate 18.04 and Lubuntu 18.04 multi-booting off of my laptop drive. Actually I may end up having to replace Mate and Lubuntu about the same time as the flavors are only supported for 3 years IIRC.

...Did you use 'do-release-upgrade' or
    perform a clean install?...
    With my multi-booting and my tendency to use PPA's I always do a fresh/clean install after backing up, either by "tar-balling" or with "dd", the old installation being replaced.

I haven't done an in place upgrade since about 2009 / 2010. The last 10 to 11 years I've always done fresh installs after backing up the older one.

Beans

Yea I have been on 20.10 for a while now, it's been stable and pretty great. I actually forced the upgrade to get it early and I don't recommend doing this.

Beans

Upgraded from 18.04 using do-release-upgrade about a week ago. Ran into the expected graphics issues because I had to resort to using a PPA for graphics drivers, but installing the more recent graphics drivers for my card which are available with 20.04 sorted that out.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Chromium is useless. They broke the code so firejail doesn't work with or without the snap. Snaps seldom work over remote X11. Sad.
    While I don't use firejail or remote X11, so I didn't run into those problems, I also found the chromium snap abhorrent, mostly due to the sluggishness and lacking integration in the existing GUI (different mouse cursor in chromium, WTF?). Fortunately, apparently there are more people who don't like the chromium snap out there, so a quick search for "chromium snap" yielded this nice manual on how to install a proper chromium deb package from a PPA, which solved my problems. Also I promptly uninstalled snapd.
    Last edited by wmcl; November 30th, 2020 at 12:17 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast