Thread: File manager hanging.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

File manager hanging.

I'm having difficulties recently. After a day or 2 my file manager takes upwards of a minute to open. My recycle bin on the desktop times out instead of opening. Apps take a good long time to open. This is all solved by a reboot and shouldn't be an issue with an SSD.

My only change since these began is implementing multi-seat. I'm unsure of how to diagnose or chase this down. Any advice? Or what logs / what to look for in logs?
    Last edited by Tadaen_Sylvermane; November 29th, 2020 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Simplify problems to diagnose

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: File manager hanging.

Bumping after editing to make simpler and clearer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I'm way out of my league responding to anything dealing with multi‑seat (I have no experience with it), but have you looked at your logs? Especially after a freeze-up?

That's the only suggestion I can make.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I have to admit I had no idea what "multi-seat" was until I searched.

Have you seen the page at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MultiseatX ?
    Though pretty old now, may give you some clues if you've not already seen it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm going to mark this solved for now. I'm going to have to do some testing and research but I dropped multi-seat, problem remained. Changed my fstab nfs mounts from automount to full time defaults and the problem has disappeared, at least for 3-4 days now. Considering before this I was lucky to make it a day or 2 without a reboot and now I'm 3-4 days and still solid I'd say that's an indicator of something.

I can't help but wonder if something changed with Focals nfs-server. I did upgrade my server to focal a few weeks, month ago or so.