Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't boot from a new Ubuntu 20.04 USB drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Can't boot from a new Ubuntu 20.04 USB drive

My Bios boot based PC does not recognize a new Ubuntu 20.04 installation USB drive. I can access the files on the USB drive and I see a file named Boot with a file Grub that has a file named x86_64-efi.

Does that mean that the drive can not be used on my PC?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Can't boot from a new Ubuntu 20.04 USB drive

It's possible indeed.

Some tools like Rufus, depending on the settings, either do a BIOS bootable or a UEFI bootable, not both.

Beans
    Hidden!

- Please tell us about your computer: brand name and model

- and tell us also how you created the USB boot drive: method and/or tool

Then it will be easier for us to help you.

Beans
    Distro

This is not a time sensitive issue at all. Ubuntu 16.04 is my current OS and 18.04 is on another partition.

Computer is a 2005 Compaq desktop rebuilt in 2013:

Mother Board - ASUS M5A 78L-M LX
    CPU - AMD 4100
    Memory - 8 GB
    IGP - ATI Radeon HD3000

2019 - new Corsair CX430 power supply

This equipment has successfully accepted installs of Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Peppermint and multiple Virtual Box installs of Windows and assorted other Ubuntu's. Running a Live version of Ubuntu from a USB drive has never before presented any issues.

Flash drive: ILamourCar Ubuntu Ubuntu 20.04. Full and latest version of the Ubuntu OS 16 GB USB flash drive for desktop, laptop, PC. (Recently purchased from Amazon)
    You can run Ubuntu straight from this USB, no need to install.
    Minimum hard disk space: 25 GB free disk space. Minimum RAM: 4 GB RAM. Minimum processor speed: Dual Core Processor (2 GHZ). Media type: USB Flash. Language version: English. Other: VGA capable of 1024x768 screen resolution.

A message appeared briefly on screen when I first tried to run it. The message has not appeared during subsequent attempts to boot. Could the file access type have been changed at that time?

Last edited by pme 72; November 27th, 2020 at 07:29 PM. Reason: add info

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pme 72 View Post
    This is not a time sensitive issue at all. Ubuntu 16.04 is my current OS and 18.04 is on another partition.

Computer is a 2005 Compaq desktop rebuilt in 2013:

Mother Board - ASUS M5A 78L-M LX
    CPU - AMD 4100
    Memory - 8 GB
    IGP - ATI Radeon HD3000

2019 - new Corsair CX430 power supply

This equipment has successfully accepted installs of Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Peppermint and multiple Virtual Box installs of Windows and assorted other Ubuntu's. Running a Live version of Ubuntu from a USB drive has never before presented any issues.

Flash drive: ILamourCar Ubuntu Ubuntu 20.04. Full and latest version of the Ubuntu OS 16 GB USB flash drive for desktop, laptop, PC. (Recently purchased from Amazon)
    Minimum hard disk space: 25 GB free disk space. Minimum RAM: 4 GB RAM. Minimum processor speed: Dual Core Processor (2 GHZ). Media type: USB Flash. Language version: English. Other: VGA capable of 1024x768 screen resolution.

A message appeared briefly on screen when I first tried to run it. The message has not appeared during subsequent attempts to boot. Could the file access type have been changed at that time?

https://postimg.cc/TKSk5Gx0

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for the details.

- Please tell us also how you created the USB boot drive - which tool or method did you use?

- And can you boot another computer with this USB boot drive?

I can't say that I understand what causes the problem. And I don't understand how far the boot process works (until it fails). Maybe you can try to describe with more details how far it works, for example by removing the boot options quiet and splash, and watching the output to the screen.

- Maybe the graphics card of the old computer is not recognized by Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. If that is the problem, maybe it can work with the boot option nomodeset.

- Maybe there is some other problem related to the graphics of standard Ubuntu. In that case it might work better with a light-weight flavour: Lubuntu, Ubuntu MATE or Xubuntu (of the same version 20.04 LTS).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You can often just extract a Linux ISO to USB and run it in UEFI mode, but I have not heard of this working in BIOS mode.

Best to create a Live or Persistent USB installer drive using mkusb, Startup Disk Creator, Etcher or Rufus.

Beans
    Distro

Sudodus, thank you for the reply.

I purchased the USB Boot Ubuntu 20.04 drive from Amazon, ILamourCAR Ubuntu 20.04:
    About this item: ILamourCar Ubuntu Linux 20.04 Latest Version - 2020 16GB USB Flash Drive | English Version - Silver

Ubuntu 20.04. Full and latest version of the Ubuntu OS 16 GB USB flash drive for desktop, laptop, PC.
    Ubuntu, the World's Most Popular Linux, Contains a massive array of software - office software, browser, email, image editing and more.
    Simple to use: You can run Ubuntu straight from this USB, no need to install.

I removed the older HDD that boots to 16.04 and enabled a newer HDD with Xubuntu 20.10. I also enabled a Radeon R7 240 GPU. With the USB drive inserted I received a similar result to the older drive. The machine did not boot from the USB, it immediately opened the Grub Menu and booted to Xubuntu 20.10.

I ran dmesg after the failure to boot the USB and ran it again after a subsequent boot without the drive. I have the two results side by side on a Calc spread sheet and am slowly checking for lines that do not match.

Almost at the end of the dmesg output of the first dmesg there is a line: [ 141.819339] FAT-fs (sdg1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.

Maybe that's why the USB is now recognized as a bunch of files, not an ISO. The ILamourCar USB is listed as sdg1.

When checking the BIOS Setup to verify that the USB drive was 1st priority I noticed that under Main Settings only two of 6 available slots/inputs(?) were listed as Detected, the #2 Boot Priority CD ROM and the #3 Boot Priority, the hard drive I had just enabled. The #1 Priority USB Generic USB SD Reader was listed as not Detected.

Later tonight or tomorrow early morning I hope to download a light-weight distribution ISO and burn it to a USB drive to verify that the USB port(s) will properly recognize the ISO file.

Again, this isn't any crisis. I am curious about 20.04 but 16.04 serves my needs well.
    Last edited by pme 72; December 3rd, 2020 at 05:35 PM. Reason: shorten reply, correct spelling error

Beans
    Hidden!

While most USB pendrives work well as boot devices, some USB pendrives do not cooperate well with some computers. This might be a reason for your problems.

It is also possible that you use a tool/method, that does not work with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. This is the reason why I ask for the tool/method that you use to burn from the iso file to the USB drive.

The following links and links from them may help you look for possible causes of the failure to boot.

help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

Why Doesn't a Bootable USB Boot - click on the flowcharts to get bigger pictures where the text is easier to read

Anyway, good luck when you burn a light-weight distribution ISO and to a USB drive and try to boot

GhX6GZMB is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Just for reference: the contents of your USB drive should look like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast