Thread: HOME Ubuntu Usesrs

Beans

HOME Ubuntu Usesrs

Fellow Home Ubuntu Users, Hello (and everyone else),
    I've been using Linux since about 1992. I'm a home user today, not an IT professional.
    I started my *nix learning with Solaris Unix at work and Slackware Linux at home in 1992.
    I moved from Slackware to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin) shortly after release (2012).
    I've been enjoying Ubuntu ever since. I moved to Ubuntu Mate when I moved up to 20.04, love it so far.

I just read an interesting article on Linux I'd like to share a few excerpts.
    Mind-blowing Linux Statistics (Editor’s Choice): For full article, see link at bottom.
    In 2019, 100% of the world’s supercomputers run on Linux.
    Out of the top 25 websites in the world, only 2 aren’t using Linux.
    96.3% of the world’s top 1 million servers run on Linux.
    90% of all cloud infrastructure operates on Linux and practically all the best cloud hosts use it.
    Pretty impressive, isn’t it?
    Here’s a bit more:
    Linux was launched on September 17, 1991, [edit: it is now over 28 years old].
    Linux is the OS of 1.63% of all desktop operating systems worldwide.
    In 2018, the market share of Linux in India was 3.97%.
    In 2018, Linux ran on 100% of the world’s 500 supercomputers.
    In 2018, the number of Linux games available on Steam reached 4,060.
    19.5% of the global infotainment operating market in 2017 belonged to Linux.
    95% of the servers that run the world’s top 1 million domains are powered by Linux.
    * In 2018, Android dominated the mobile OS market with 75.16%.
    * 85% of all smartphones are based on Linux.

* Yes, but what exactly does Android have to do with Linux?
    Well… Android is the world’s most used operating system, right?
    Its developers based it on a modified version of Linux kernel.
    That’s why we can say that 4 out of 5 smartphones in the world are run on Linux.
    Tech professionals love Linux. It is one of the most popular operating systems among developers.
    25.3% of professional developers used Linux in 2018.
    36.7% of the websites with known operating systems use Linux.
    54.1% of professional developers use Linux as a platform in 2019.
    83.1% of developers say Linux is the platform they prefer to work on.
    As of 2017, more than 15,637 developers from 1,513 companies had contributed to the Linux kernel code since its creation.
    Some of the platinum members of the Linux Foundation are Google, AT&T, Fujitsu, Cisco, Huawei, IBM, Intel, Microsoft… And according to the stats, programmers are more and more fond of Linux with every passing year.
    I enjoyed reading the above, hope you did.
    My source excerpts was: https://hostingtribunal.com/blog/linux-statistics/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: HOME Ubuntu Usesrs

Okay

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

my mind is blown. on the other hand, it is also still not the year of linux desktop and many windows games again don't work on linux (particularly the online shooters and MMORPGs).

also, welcome to the forums.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    (...) it is also still not the year of linux desktop and many windows games again don't work on linux (particularly the online shooters and MMORPGs).
    That year will never come because the years of the desktop are already gone.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Some of the platinum members of the Linux Foundation are Google, AT&T, Fujitsu, Cisco, Huawei, IBM, Intel, Microsoft
    Their motive is to modify the Linux kernel so that their proprietary code can run on servers hosting Linux. Commercial necessity not love forces these corporations to comply with Linux. It is not a bad thing. Neither is it a good thing. It is business. For the same reason Canonical, the publisher of Ubuntu, enters partnerships with commercial corporations.

Regards
    Last edited by grahammechanical; November 26th, 2020 at 11:30 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That year will never come because the years of the desktop are already gone.

My father recently said the same thing. He's always giving me nonsense about various stuff, namely the stuff I'm learning to do with Linux and server stuff. Maybe useful at a large business, but at home it's more of just something to do. Ultimately it's true for the majority of people. For them a tablet or even a phone is more than adequate. My wife's youngest cousins don't even understand how to use a mouse and keyboard well. They prefer the tablet version for Minecraft in this case. Many of my friends who used to be gamers on the desktop have mostly switched to consoles just because they are much more convenient. Speaking only for myself I just don't care as much as I used to about having the best graphics and "I'm going to die with less than 9000 fps". Get's more and more meaningless as I get older.

Desktops won't die anytime soon. Will be a slow drift into obsolescence though, at least for the average home user.

Hell I'm even looking at simplifying my server and media center deployment. If I can come up with the cash my server will become little more than a nas with a few Dockers and use RPi's for the media centers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    Desktops won't die anytime soon. Will be a slow drift into obsolescence though, at least for the average home user.
    I think businesses will always need desktops - at least for the next 100 yrs. The form factor will get smaller and smaller and more portable and more connected.

I was interviewed about a decade ago concerning my ideal desktop in the future. I'll try to find that. Wayback machine to the rescue:

* Wristwatch-sized for the CPU, RAM and disks combined. The CPU connects to external keyboard, mouse, video and audio based on proximity with complete security. Basically, my desktop is with me everywhere and peripherals are added as needed through voice commands.
    If I have to bring my own display, then an 8 inch tablet is about as small as I can stand.

A few of my extended family have dumped their desktops completely. They are people with jobs outside tech fields and don't "create" much content or text. Almost everyone else has laptops AND a tablet. For creation, they use the laptop. For consuming, they use the tablet.

The programmers all have desktops and laptops, but they much prefer to code on their desktops with huge multi-screen display setups. I prefer that too.

I'm odd. I use a desktop about 4 hrs a day, a laptop about 4 hours a day and an 8 inch, $50, tablet about 10 yrs a day. That is a bunch of screen time, probably too much. The tablet is for music, audiobooks, reading, weather, looking up quick facts, so don't take "use" as only 1 device at a time. When my tablet breaks, I'll buy a replacement within a week. Ideally, I'd love to have a $50 tablet that could replace my laptop and cell phone. It will happen. Heck, I dumped my cell phone plan over the summer, but I was never a huge user of it. It is a wifi-only device today that happens to have GPS too.

I've attempted to travel with just a tablet a few times. After a few years, I finally learned that tablet OSes just aren't sufficient for my needs.

Every day, someone discovers Linux and thinks almost everyone else should switch. In the 1990s, I was that guy. Over the years, after lots of effort trying to convince people to see the light, I've given up. I still teach informal Linux classes and help out with our LUG every week, but I'm old and a little crusty. I can't make anyone switch OSes if they don't have any interest. Heck, I can't get anyone to use f2fs instead of fat32 either and we all know how inferior fat32 is. f2fs is at the point where it could replace ext4 as we all use SSDs these days. https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...nux-f2fs&num=1 Would you give up 2% performance for a much longer SSD life?
    Last edited by TheFu; November 27th, 2020 at 04:14 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    I hope not, the older I get, the bigger screen I want, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Every day, someone discovers Linux and thinks almost everyone else should switch. In the 1990s, I was that guy.
    I'm still that guy. I've found Ubuntu to be a good remedy for many seniors with old computers no longer working (who can't afford new computer or 'repair'); Ubuntu generally works very well on older computers getting them online again with little effort on my part.