Thread: Touchscreen Help new to ubuntu

Beans

Touchscreen Help new to ubuntu

Hi I was looking to see if someone could help me out with a touchscreen monitor replacement problem. I know absolutely nothing about linux. I have a ubuntu box at work running 16.04 and has the following listed in xinput-list weida cooltouchr id=13 im guessing this is the old controller / driver. I have the new monitor plugged in and i can touch the screen but it is way off. I ran the xinput_calibrator and I can hit the left red indicator but not the right. I am going from a old 4:3 monitor to a 16:9 1920x1080 asus VT229h touch screen monitor. Please remember I know nothing about linux :/ so details instructions would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by brianblase; November 22nd, 2020 at 10:14 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Touchscreen Help new to ubuntu

Is the new monitor working correctly as a standard desktop monitor?

As a general rule, the newest hardware needs the newest version of Linux. Ubuntu 16.04 will reach end of life 30 April 2021. Your employer should be thinking of upgrading to Ubuntu 18.04 which has support until the end of April 2023. Linux developers are continually updating the Linux kernel including hardware drivers. The latest releases of Ubuntu include the latest Linux kernels and the Hardware Enablement Stack (drivers).

You may be in a situation where you need the latest Ubuntu with the latest Linux kernel and hardware enablement stack to get the best results out of that monitor.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Yes the monitor is detected. as aus 22" and displaying the correct resolution plug and play. I get that it is almost end of life but isn't end of life yet and if someone could help me with this calibration issue we would be golden. I am worried if I upgrade this it will create more problems for me as this box is setup for some proprietary settings / configurations that i have no knowledge about. I will make it worth someones while if we can ge tthis resolved.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Have you installed and graphics card drivers? If so, what one and where did you get it from? How is this monitor connected: VGA, HDMI, ?? Perhaps some info on your system would be of help.