Thread: CDROM in KVM Guest

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

CDROM in KVM Guest

Is it the case that one cannot have a cdrom in a kvm guest as per the host machine? I can add sata cdrom device as a storage medium used in the install process but this is not the same as putting a cd/dvd in the host machine and it appearing on the kvm guest as per a usb stick.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: CDROM in KVM Guest

Thread moved to Virtualisation for a more appropriate fit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Quarkrad View Post
    Is it the case that one cannot have a cdrom in a kvm guest as per the host machine? I can add sata cdrom device as a storage medium used in the install process but this is not the same as putting a cd/dvd in the host machine and it appearing on the kvm guest as per a usb stick.
    No. You can add a virtual CD (an ISO file) to the VM, setup the virtual controller - sata or IDE or SCSI - and go.
    If you want to passthru a physical device, then that passthru has to follow the requirements like passing through any non-USB physical device. This is non-trivial. IOMMU must be enabled in the host kernel for starters. The VM must have exclusive access to the hardware controller and to the storage device.
    https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...an-audio-cdrom

Or do I completely miss the question?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thank you - you interpreted my question correctly; my error for not making the question clear enough.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Quarkrad View Post
    Thank you - you interpreted my question correctly; my error for not making the question clear enough.
    Passing through non-usb devices is sully more hassle than it is worth. If you have the CD, jst use dd to clone it nto an ISO file and use that in the VM GUI config.
    or
    you can pt the ISO on any linux system, mount it using the mount -o loop technique. If the mount s on a different system, use nfs to share it. very easy between linux/Unix systems. Any network protocol works for VMs just like for physical installs.