Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Setting up folders on HDD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Setting up folders on HDD

You just changed ownership of /mnt/Data.
    You need recursion to change everything in /mnt/Data.
    But recursion can be dangerous, so make sure you are running just on your data partition and not on some system partition.
    We have seen users accidentally put a space after / mnt and then it changes everything in / destroying system.
    One more reason for good backups.

I sometimes use sudo when I should not and root controls some files. So I occassionly have to run this.
    Note my mount is data not your Data.

# so chown & chmod after mounting either manually or via fstab
    sudo chown -R $USER:$USER /mnt/data
    # The big "X" will also not make files executable unless they were executable to begin with.
    sudo chmod -R a+rwX /mnt/data
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

You are right The Cog i have now created the file. Thanks to you all.

Beans

I have a folder (link) in Home called Music but it is not listed separately in Files like Downloads or Documents etc. which I haven't linked yet. How do I restore it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by KieranFitzgerald View Post
    I have a folder (link) in Home called Music but it is not listed separately in Files like Downloads or Documents etc. which I haven't linked yet. How do I restore it?
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by this but I suspect it means that you have not created a link to the Music folder in that data partition.

Use command
    Code:
    ln -s /mnt/data/Music Music
    to add a link called Music in your home which will look asm if the Music folder is there.
    Make certain you remove any file or folder currently in your home named Music and also get the case of /mnt/data correct; as oldfred has said data is not the same as Data.

Beans

When I open Files from the launch-bar I get a list of folders on the left of the screen . Since setting up a link to Music in Data (my name) Music is missing from the list in files, see screen shot, but appears in Home. How do I replace it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If I understand the question correctly, using the file browser naviigate to and open the folder in question.

At the top of the browser window find the item for Music. It should have a down arrow symbol. Click on the arrow to open the options menu, then select "Add to Bookmarks." fini.
    regards

Beans

Please look at the sceen-shot the list of files does not include Music, it did before setting up the symlink. I'm not sure how better describe the problem.

In the screenshot, the file browser is using the "recent" filter (upper left pane), so it's only showing files/directories that meet its criteria.

Select "home" just below and see if that works better.

Home works fine I just like the Home folders listed below Home, must be possible!
    Last edited by howefield; November 23rd, 2020 at 10:22 PM. Reason: merge posts.

Beans

howefield why have you merged my post with someone else's reply. I'm surprised this can be done.

Beans

howefield why have you merged my post with someone else's reply. I'm surprised this can be done.
    Ah.. an error when tidying your duplicate post. My apologies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Home works fine I just like the Home folders listed below Home, must be possible!
    Do what I said above. Navigate the the folder you want listed in the left pane, click on the down arrow symbol where that folder is listed in the bar at the top of the folder window to open an actions menu. Click on "Add to Bookmarks". Fini.
    regards

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast