Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Setting up folders on HDD

Beans

Re: Setting up folders on HDD

Thanks that works. Can I reorder the result (move Music Up the list) . Iv'e tried dragging it but no luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It's possible, but as I recall it gets complicated.

The left pane in the Nautilus (file browser) window actually consists of several sections. There are faint horizontal lines that separate them, but depending upon your display and settings may be difficult to see.

Icons in the top section are placed by the system and require special majicks to manipulate. Icons for bookmarks created by the user are placed in the lower section. These are more pliable and can be reordered by dragging, but only within their section.

I'm sure someone else can tell you how to reorder icons in the top section...I've forgotten and the procedure has doubtlessly changed since I last tried. The search function works pretty well here so you might try searching for "20.04 reorder Nautilus bookmarks."
    regards

Beans

Disappointed with 20.04 frequent lock ups (have to reset). Printer and scanner detection not working correctly.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

It's a long time since I used gnome or nautilus but part of your problem my be the result of setting the view options for nautilus to show bookmarks rather than folders in the left hand pane.

I am making an assumption that there is such a setting for nautilus; I could be wrong because, as I say, I don't use it and haven't used it for a very long time.

Thebookmarks themselves are stored in the ~/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks file.
    The format is:

file:///path/to/folder Bookmark_name
    so the bookmark name can be and often is different from the folder name. By manually editing this file you can probably change the order of the bookmarks seen in nautilus.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234