Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which brand of printers should I stick to?

Beans

Re: Which brand of printers should I stick to?

I have a Brother HL-3170CDW. Only modification I needed to make was to set the printer into Postscript emulation to get it to print envelopes correctly.

The printer is directly wired with Ethernet into my router. You can still print from wifi devices this way without using the wifi features of the printer itself. Brother has a useful app for Android devices that will detect the printer. DK about iOS devices, but I'd imagine they'd have an app for them, too.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

By all accounts, and my personal experience, Brother.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've had good success with Brother using their installer script. Older inkjet MFD, MFC-6490CW and HL-3170xxx. They're both wired networked and have static network addresses. I use system-config-printer to configure the connection using socket, e.g. socket://printer. IP. address:9100. We also have a Samsung monochrome laser that is recognized "out of the box" but prints well with some apps e.g. Libre Office but with other apps e.g. Firefox it'll print a line or two of gibberish per page and will keep printing until it runs out of paper. I found Samsung linux drivers on HP's support site (HP bought Samsung's printer business a few years ago), those work as expected.

Beans

I use a Brother MFC-J5330DW, wirelessly.
    The printer is automatically detected and works without issues for printing and scanning

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12