Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I received and odd email security notice:confused:

Beans

Re: I received and odd email security notice:confused:

OK this has gotten weirder. Someone purporting to be from the company called and asked that we call them back.
    I sent an email to the domain administrative contact listed in the who is ICCAN database. I verified he is a real person in their Network Department.
    WE'll see what hapens.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
    All of the phone numbers in the email are offshore, so I'm not sure who I'd get or if they were legit. The company is big enough that I don't have a clue what verifiable number I could call to get someone who would care.
    TL;DR Check the full email headers. https://www.cmu.edu/iso/news/email-spoofing.html explains what to look for. Carnegie Mellon U is a reputable source.

Longer stuff ...
    You do business with a company that you don't have a telephone number and human to call? For anything that isn't specifically related to domain registration, DNS, or setting up computer servers, I wouldn't do business with a company like that. I have a phone number for my ISP, my hosting providers, and other businesses. No way would I call a number listed in an email. Go to the web site for the company. Find the "Contact Us" page. Call that number. Let them figure out where you should go. Don't follow any link to the webpage. Type it in. For any company I do lots of business with, I have a personal contact name and number. We talk monthly or quarterly to be certain we are on the same page.

I'm a corporate officer for a company and get spearfishing emails all-the-time. Got 6 this morning. 3 had viruses that my email server caught and dumped. 2 were claiming to be from Amazon with $100 gift cards sent to different accounts as a thank you. One claimed that someone had charged $1200 to a FedEx account (which I don't have). The Amazon ones were pretty good, except the link for to "claim" the cards was clearly not Amazon in either email and the "TO" wasn't to any email that has been used with Amazon, ever. My amazon account is a random, long, email address, that only gets used with Amazon.

The Amazon gift cards sender email servers were running on Amazon's EC2 cloud, which isn't what corporate AMZ would use. The source of the messages was a country in South America for one and Hungary for the other.

To make things a little more complicated, I was doing some domain and DNS work today, so transferring domains and DNS around. This required a few confirmation emails from multiple companies. But those use different email addresses for each and those addresses aren't used for anything else.

If you have just 1 email address, I feel sorry. Having lots of addresses/aliases means I can tell whenever the source for an email is likely to be spam. Mostly I use aliases that get filtered into specific folders in the imap server. I have hundreds of aliases, but just a few actual email accounts.

What's really sad is that the email address my extended family has which has never been used with anyone else is getting about 50 spam emails each week. Someone or some-three people in the extended family has been hacked, but the list is too long to nail down who could be compromised.Anyone sending attachments with virus gets their subnet blocked from all all future web or email connections.

You probably need at least 3 different email addresses for personal stuff.
    * Social
    * Purchases
    * Banking/Investing
    Never mix those and don't use the purchase and banking accounts for anything social. Ideally, you'd have a few social aliases, and a different email for each store and each bank and each investment account, never to be mixed.

If someone uses your social email claiming to be from a bank, you know immediately they are "bad guys."

Anyone sending attachments with a virus gets their subnet blocked from all all future web or email connections.
    Last edited by TheFu; November 25th, 2020 at 07:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

You likely have everything covered, but here's a short YouTube video that describes spear phishing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZc2oXfz9Qs

It is possible to be scammed or hacked outside of a computer.
    I'm the Sisyphus in security engineering.

Read about 14.04 ESM and Puppet inside of Docker Containers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

@rsteinmetz70112

You are getting awesome advice from TheFu and EuclideanCoffee. Corporate officers whom I know have been willing to pay big money for such training.

Though TheFu has already covered it, I would only highlight/emphasize one thing: it seems to me that you are continuing to try contacting this big national company by responding to info sent to you. This is a fundamentally flawed approach. Your whole concern is that—or ought to be that—the info you are receiving is suspect. Therefore, you must initiate the detective work. This means calling the office of this big national company and asking who their chief IT or chief security officer is. If you don't take the initiative but instead just continue responding to stimuli, then you can never be sure that you aren't just caught up in some elaborate net.

There is no substitute for the above strategy. The only way to know that you are dealing with the real McCoys is to be the one initiating contact.

Beans

I think some people here don't understand exactly what happened.

1. We received an email purported to be from a large company we have done work for.
    2. That email seemed to be somewhat off for a number of reasons.
    3. We received a voice mail from a person who identified himselves as one of the people listed in the email. The call was from Hungary.
    4. I then contacted by email the Administrative and Technical Contact for the Company's Domain, after verifying that person was a senior executive in the companies IT group and his email address.
    5. I have not contacted any of the email addresses listed in the original email.

I really don't know what else I can do.
    Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; November 27th, 2020 at 11:18 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Step‑by‑step then:

1. Forget looking up domains or anything that you have received from them.
    2. Through a simple websearch, look up the company's main head office. **Phone them**.
    3. Start with the receptionist. Explain your quandary and ask for a summary of their corporate officers/security personnel.
    4. Work your way up that structure until you get someone who has enough authority to deal with your concern.
    5. Talk to that person by voice, not via e-mail or some other easily spoofable medium.
    6. Even if they can't help you directly, at least you can verify that the e-mail address you've been sent is valid because it belongs to someone who is really part of their establishment.
    7. This simple series of steps should get you to the point where you can have reasonable confidence. The goal is not absolute certainty, but reasonable confidence.

Sometimes, the best solutions are the old fashioned ones and do not involve technology.
    Last edited by DuckHook; November 28th, 2020 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Added emphasis

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
    I think some people here don't understand exactly what happened.
    I really don't know what else I can do.
    Only deal with the account MANAGER for your company who you have a pre-existing relationship. Have that person be the bridge to any other department - via 3-way call.

The type of information in the supposed leak should be know. Is it illegal to leak? Is it just embarrassing to the company? Is it something that only an insider would have access?

If you are the CIO or CISO, then it is your problem to handle. If not, hand it over to those people.

If the other company knows about any leak(s), then they should provide the data and other knowledge gratis, otherwise is it a shake down and your national police should get involved.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Only deal with the account MANAGER for your company who you have a pre-existing relationship. Have that person be the bridge to any other department - via 3-way call.

The type of information in the supposed leak should be know. Is it illegal to leak? Is it just embarrassing to the company? Is it something that only an insider would have access?

If you are the CIO or CISO, then it is your problem to handle. If not, hand it over to those people.

If the other company knows about any leak(s), then they should provide the data and other knowledge gratis, otherwise is it a shake down and your national police should get involved.

Between TheFu's thoughts and mine, you have multiple paths to a clean solution. I don't know why you are finding this so hard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12