Thread: windows10 on home router safety?

Beans

windows10 on home router safety?

i have a router which all the house devices connects through ( my linux desktop , 5 phones and two xboxes)
    now my son wants a laptop with windows10 for his school work
    my question is , if this laptop is connected to router too ( which it will be) and i have no anti virus software for it (cause i'm not paying for it), how safe would all my other devices be ?
    quess i'm just scared this damn windows thing infects my router and what what

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: windows10 on home router safety?

I used to think the same way, always in fear of Windows. I have changed my viewpoint.

Microsoft takes security a bit more seriously these days. Even though the design of *nix is inherently more secure, for what it is Windows 10 is surprisingly safe. Nothing can protect a computer from someone who doesn't pay attention though. No amount of anti virus / malware stuff will make a difference.
    Last edited by Tadaen_Sylvermane; November 17th, 2020 at 09:40 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Put Windows onto a different subnet when it is controlled by someone not careful online.

Many home routers support multiple networks like that, especially the wifi connected. Just depends on the router.

Microsoft has a free A/V tool. Some ISPs include commercial A/V with your connection costs. Comcast, Cox, and AT&T do.

I sspect others do as well. Some have android software included too.

Beans

There are quite a few good free anti-virus programs for Windows. Would go to ninite.com(safe, no gimbits) to install all programs(free) your son might want to have before going to other sites. Router and Windows should both have firewalls installed and enabled. Only cross problems will be if you share stuff/files between computers. Linux not bother by Windows malware, but can still pass it to Windows computers. This is why there is Linux anti-malware programs, to clean files from infecting Windows. Keep everything updated, including router and teach safe browsing/computer use. All stuff goes though router first, does not matter what OS you are using to infect router with router malware. Router updates help.
    Last edited by crip720; November 17th, 2020 at 11:03 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

There are many Windows users who suggest that Windows Defender (I think that's what it's called) is as good as many other anti-virus programs and that it is better to leave it to do the job itself.

If you add another program you will probably need to disable Defender as more than one anti-virus running at the same time are known to cause problems. I don't use Windows any more except as a VM which I boot very seldom just to update a GPS Satnav device and I have not added any anti-virus for that.

Beans

thanks for the replies guys ,got a better idea now what to do . i think our home should be safe

Beans

I have Bitdefender on my Windows machine, and Android phones, package deal. And I use Sophos on my Ubuntu machines. Remember that visitors who you allow to connect might not have antivirus, and could surf dangerous websites, therefore you should have a guest connection enabled on your wifi if guests use it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Put Windows onto a different subnet when it is controlled by someone not careful online.
    This.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.