Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Dual Boot Does Not Work To WinXP From Grub Menu, Help?

Beans

Re: My Dual Boot Does Not Work To WinXP From Grub Menu, Help?

The entire entry for XP needs to be posted which you have not done and once again, the boot repair software failed to include grub.cfg for some reason. Boot the installed Ubuntu and copy just the entry for XP from it, the entire entry and paste it here. You can do that by clicking on the ( # ) symbol above the text entry area.

Was XP working/booting prior to this problem? Grub won't boot a non-working windows, it doesn't actually directly boot windows in the manner it does a Linux system but rather chainloads it and turns the boot process over to windows.

The following on code seems to concern ms dos,
    THe reference to msdoc in this instance simply means you are dealing with a Legacy/CSM system.

I could not get the .cfg file to open in Windows 7 notepad
    Not sure how windows 7 got into the equation, you should be accessing the grub.cfg file from the installed Ubuntu and copying it. A default windows system is not capable of reading or writing to a Linux filesystem, that's the way microsoft wants it so use Linux for Linux filesystems.

Beans

Thank you Yancek.

1/ My windows XP installation worked perfectly prior to my installing Ubuntu alongside. It was free of clutter and errors and was more or less a fresh install.
    2/ I forgot I have Wi-Fi on the Ubuntu machine and so I tried to copy the grub.cfg file to another machine running Windows 7. That is where I made the forum post, sorry about that it was a silly mistake.
    3/ I have followed your instruction and copied everything that relates to Windows XP in the Grub.cfg file. This is the only place in the whole file that explicitly references Windows XP, and so everything below that point has been copied and placed within the [code] tags.
    However, The number lines from the grub.cfg file have not been copied?

Code:
    ### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
    menuentry 'Microsoft Windows XP Professional (on /dev/sda1)' --class windows --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-chain-1448A9AE48A98ED4' {
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ntfs
        set root='hd0,msdos1'
        if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos1  1448A9AE48A98ED4
        else
          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 1448A9AE48A98ED4
        fi
        parttool ${root} hidden-
        drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
        chainloader +1
    }
    set timeout_style=menu
    if [ "${timeout}" = 0 ]; then
      set timeout=10
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware ###
    ### END /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.
    ### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
    if [ -f  ${config_directory}/custom.cfg ]; then
      source ${config_directory}/custom.cfg
    elif [ -z "${config_directory}" -a -f  $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
      source $prefix/custom.cfg;
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
    There is a lot more code before this which I will post here if you require.
    I realise that this is a somewhat 'trying' post, made worse by the fact that I have no knowledge of Ubuntu or coding for that matter, and so most of what you tell me comes as completely new information which I have to first understand before acting on it.
    I very much appreciate your help,

cliff.
    Last edited by cliff-bjazz; November 22nd, 2020 at 06:25 PM.

Beans

I guess my issue is non solvable then it seems,
    That's a real shame, I thought that the dual boot was a real feature, but I guess I will have to reinstall Windows XP and not get to learn Linux for now.

thanks guys in any case.

cliff.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I thought of trying rEFInd but yours is older MBR and rEFInd requires GPT to work..
    Last edited by dragonfly41; November 26th, 2020 at 11:24 AM.

Beans

Your XP entry posted in post 12 above looks correct. It shows the correct partition and UUID for XP so I don't think that is the problem. Seems a bit odd that your boot repair fails to provide the complete information generally shown? I see from your initial/partial boot repair in post 2 that you initially did an EFI install of Ubuntu. Of course, that would never work to boot a Legacy/CSM install of XP which is what you have. Boot repair seemed to correct that by installing Grub to the MBR of the drive and removing the /boot/efi entry in fstab. Not sure what else to suggest without more info.

That's a real shame, I thought that the dual boot was a real feature, but I guess I will have to reinstall Windows XP and not get to learn Linux for now.
    It's certainly possible as millions of people have been dual booting different Linux and windows systems for decades.
    You might try repairing your XP b'y reinstalling the XP boot code to the MBR then reinstalling Ubuntu in Legacy mode. Since you originally installed Ubuntu in EFI mode, you might check the BIOS firmware to see that Legacy/CSM is enabled in the Boot Options of the BIOS firmware.
    Last edited by yancek; November 26th, 2020 at 02:32 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

It is so long since I did anything with XP but I seem to remember that there was a repair utility on the CD/DVD that could repair the boot of XP.
    Have you tried booting to your installation disk to see if that offers any hope of a solution to at least get XP booting again, then using a Ubuntu live system you can install grub to the hard disk; not to a partition on the disk, ie /dev/sda, not /dev/sda1 or any other partition. This would end up similarly to the way suggested above by yancek, but without the reinstall of XP, just repairing the MBR XP bootloader.

When I first began using Ubuntu 16 years ago I dual booted with XP for a few years with no difficulty, but that was in the days long before UEFI was even available, and it also used legacy grub versions, not grub 2 as we use now. I don't think that should matter

I have no idea what your hardware is but have you considered installing Ubuntu to the whole disk and then using XP in virtual mode using VirtualBox if you have sufficient resources?
    I still have an XP installation running in VBox very successfully, though I only boot it about 1 or 2 times a year these days. It does, however, run fast and would do anything that I needed it for, such as updating maps on my TomTom GPS Satnav device.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    You might try repairing your XP b'y reinstalling the XP boot code to the MBR then reinstalling Ubuntu in Legacy mode. Since you originally installed Ubuntu in EFI mode, you might check the BIOS firmware to see that Legacy/CSM is enabled in the Boot Options of the BIOS firmware.
    Hello Yancek,
    I don't know how to set about doing that, since I cannot get into any part of WindowsXP, (not much good working in the Bios either), but I can do some research.
    Thank you for the idea.

cliff

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Have you tried booting to your installation disk to see if that offers any hope of a solution to at least get XP booting again, then using a Ubuntu live system you can install grub to the hard disk; not to a partition on the disk, ie /dev/sda, not /dev/sda1 or any other partition. This would end up similarly to the way suggested above by yancek, but without the reinstall of XP, just repairing the MBR XP bootloader.
    Hello ajgreeny,
    This is excellent, could I delete the place where Ubuntu is presently installed and reuse the disk space after the new Ubuntu installation to a different partition? I do have the installation disk for Windows XP, and I could give your method a try and see how far I get. It will be worth a try before wiping the hard drive and starting all over again. Luckily I only have mostly legacy games installed on windows because it's more of a test and research legacy machine.

Thank you very much for your input guys,
    cliff.

Beans

I'm not really familiar with XP so I would suggest you do an online search for "repair MBR on windows XP". You are a step ahead of most since you have the installation CD which you need. You should find sites similar to the ones below explaining the process.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-repa...ows-xp-2624513

https://www.lazesoft.com/windows-rec...indows-xp.html

If this method is successful you could then use the Ubuntu install medium to reinstall Grub as suggested above. If you decide to reinstall, there is no need to delete the partition on which you currently hav Ubuntu, just select it as the partition on which to install the OS and make sure you check the format option for that specific partition during the install.

I would also suggest that you delete the EFI partition and make sure that you instal; in Legacy mode. See the link below which explains how to determine this during the install. Go to the site at the link below and scroll down to the section titled "Identifying if the computer boots the Ubuntu DVD in UEFI mode". Results the same with DVD/USB or any medium/

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Beans

Thank you very much Yancek,
    I never expected such thorough and comprehensive help. I will have a go at this in the week, I'll let you know how it goes.
    Thanks again,

cliff.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast