Thread: Black screen after GRUB menu, "common" fixes haven't helped

Threaded View

Beans

Black screen after GRUB menu, "common" fixes haven't helped

I have a Threadripper 2920x server with a GT 710 video card (and some SAS drives) running 18.04. Mostly this is a headless box I SSH into, which works fine. But I also have a monitor/keyboard on the rack, and very early on it developed an issue where it was not outputting video from the gt710 for troubleshooting.

I can see the SAS bios loading and it gets to the grub menu. When I select Ubuntu the screen goes black. It is booting, as I can still ssh in and access the machine, I'm just not getting hard video out.

I am not very fluent with GRUB editing or kernel flags but I have tried the following things
    • adding 'quiet splash' to the 'linux' line
    • adding 'nomodeset' to the linux line
    • adding 'vga=791' to the linux line
    • setting 'gfxmode 1024x768`
    • running `sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall` through SSH, which installed a bunch of nvidia packages

As I said I'm not very fluent with editing settings like the above, so (I cringe to say this but) it is possible I did any of them "wrong" somehow, if things like parameter order matter. Mainly I put the kernel flags at the end of the linux line, I also tried them between 'ro' and the one extra param I have there for an SSD power saving mode workaround. I also tried 'nomodeset' without the 'ro' setting (?). I am willing to try any of them again.

Code:
    $ lspci -k | grep -EA3 'VGA|3D|Display'
    42:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 710] (rev a1)
            Subsystem: ZOTAC International (MCO) Ltd. GK208B [GeForce GT 710]
            Kernel driver in use: nvidia
            Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by apokkalyps; November 16th, 2020 at 02:54 AM.