Been away for years, and I'm fairly sure this multi-question thread violates a few hundred guidelines that I haven't yet read, but I'm still getting my forum sea-legs back while attempting to solve a few issues at the same time.

I've been off-Ubuntu since U10-U12, and am back now using U18. I'm looking for clear, unambiguous instructions for the following 3 issues (I assume that I need to be re-directed to a separate thread for each of them):

1. VPN app - choosing a freebie and installation instructions)

- Attempted install of my Witopia VPN with very good guidance from excellent techies, but U18 just wouldn't take it
- Tried an alt - IKEv2-SF - also doesn't work (still in system)

2. DNS change (including which alt-DNS is generally considered best and specific, clear install instructions)

- This is exploratory: I don't know if this would work better / be more secure than my native DNS or not.

3. Canon Pixus TS3330 Printer drivers installation

- IJ Printer Driver Ver. 5.90 for Linux
- ScanGear MP Ver. 3.90 for Linux

Per Canon instructions I already downloaded BUT HAVE NOT INSTALLED these 2 Canon-recommended driver files:

- cnijfilter2-source-5.90-1.tar.gz (for printing)
- scangearmp2-source-3.90-1.tar.gz (for scanning)

Reasons I HAVE NOT installed drivers via the tar.gz files:

a. The only U18 instructions I was able to find for installing the correct drivers does NOT include my specific printer model (Pixus TS 3330)

See:

Canon IJ Printer, ScanGear MP Drivers for Ubuntu 18.04, 18.10
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...u-18-04-18-10/

Related question:

b. Is there any reason to *avoid* simply decompressing and installing the drivers from the tar.gz files I downloaded? I mention this because I have seen several instruction and info web pages which claim doing that could be either ineffective or just plain screw up the works.

Note - my system inventory:

I can dump a concise, short or long version (or both) of my physical system inventory if need be. The short version is 12 line items long, while the longer version is 30-ish line items long.

Thanks for any steerage offered.

Kagesan