Thread: I need a way to reset my usb keyboard (because my cat kills it)

Beans

I need a way to reset my usb keyboard (because my cat kills it)

Hello,

I'm writing here because I have a problem that's very annoying and impeding to my work and play. I just got a new keyboard, a mechanical one, which I'm very pleased with. It works great and I find myself typing much more on it than on my old membrane keyboard because it's the responsiveness and feedback is very nice. The one issue I have is that I have a cat who loves laying down on keyboards (and seems particularly fond of this one) and that didn't use to be an issue with my old keyboard but this one will lock up if many keys are pressed at once for more than a few seconds. After that I have to either reboot or unplug and reconnect the keyboard. This is getting to be a huge annoyance and I've been searching for workarounds but have yet to find a working solution. What I need, I think, is a way to cut the power to the keyboard or to somehow reset it. It's supposed to have n-key rollover but it's not working right and it seems the internal logic just locks up and the memory needs to be cleared.

Any help is much appreciated.

Using standard ubuntu the latest LTS.
    Last edited by faucididit; November 14th, 2020 at 09:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: I need a way to reset my usb keyboard (because my cat kills it)

How about a short USB extension so that you could have the keyboard plug locate near the front of the PC? Just unplug the keyboard before you walk away.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Lock the desktop when you're away from it.

Beans

Maybe you could convince your cat to use the old keyboard instead,
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

If there isn't a more elegant solution, I'll go with the extension cord. Thanks for the suggestion, I did think of that also.

Locking the desktop would do no good because it's the keyboard itself that locks up, it has nothing to do with the system.

Haha, well I did put the old keyboard near by but he's shown no interest in it. I guess it has to be the one that gets my attention (he often does it to get attention or get me to give food and snacks too) or maybe he likes the clicks of the keys.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by faucididit View Post
    It's supposed to have n-key rollover but it's not working right and it seems the internal logic just locks up and the memory needs to be cleared.
    You may have already considered this, but some keyboards need NKRO to be specifically enabled. On mine, for example, you need to press Shift + mute to toggle it.
    None but ourselves can free our minds