Thread: Virtualbox fails to open a session

Beans

Virtualbox fails to open a session

Hi. I am running Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS on a HP laptop.

I want to vid chat with someone who only has FaceTime. I installed Virtualbox from the terminal and downloaded Facetime. I opened Virtualbox and created a virtual machine to run MacOSX. It shows up in the left-hand pane, but when I try to start it, it gives the following error.

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine MacOSX.

AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS (or by the host OS) (VERR_SVM_DISABLED).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
    Component: ConsoleWrap
    Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

I'm not even clear on how to get to my BIOS settings, or I would have tried that first. So if that's where to fix this, how do I get to my BIOS settings? Or if not, what do I do? Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Virtualbox fails to open a session

MacOS is heavily proprietary and just as heavily silo‑ware/jail‑ware. It is designed to test extensively for Apple HW and run only on legitimate Apple HW. To my knowledge, no one has ever succeeded in running it in a VM without kludges, tricks and sorcery that would make even an über‑geek's eyes water.

Someone else on these forums may be able to point you to some sort of solution, but you shouldn't get your hopes up.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Virtualbox fails to open a session

While it is not against Apple's EULA/ToS to install other OSes on Apple hardware, it is against Apple's EULA/ToS to install their OS on non-Apple hardware -- even virtual hardware.

We do not support circumvention of EULA/ToS.

Closed.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.