Thread: how to change permissions for SMB share

Beans

how to change permissions for SMB share

Hello Everyone,

On a machine running Ubuntu Server 20.04, I want to share a local drive via SMB (CIFS?).

My respective entry in /etc/samba/smb.conf is:
    Code:
    [sharename]
    comment = Shared Files
    path = /media/sharename
    browsable = yes
    read only = no

Now, when I connect to this share from a MacOS machine, using the same usernameas on the Ubuntu machine, the share shows up just fine, but is only readable. How do I make it writeable?

thanks, geb

Beans

Re: how to change permissions for SMB share

Thread moved to the "Server Platforms" forum.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by gebseng View Post
    Hello Everyone,

On a machine running Ubuntu Server 20.04, I want to share a local drive via SMB (CIFS?).

My respective entry in /etc/samba/smb.conf is:
    Code:
    [sharename]
    comment = Shared Files
    path = /media/sharename
    browsable = yes
    read only = no

Now, when I connect to this share from a MacOS machine, using the same usernameas on the Ubuntu machine, the share shows up just fine, but is only readable. How do I make it writeable?

thanks, geb
    I use something like this:
    Change accordingly EXAMPLE ONLY.
    Code:
    [salesdoc] path = /home/shared/sales
    writeable = Yes
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I haven't used smb shares in a while now. First of all I would consider using nfs if possible. Linux and modern Windows versions support it, not sure about Mac.

Second, try the writeable = yes option suggested above and make sure you also check the unix permissions on the folder /media/sharename.

When a user tries to connect and use the share, it is not all about smb.conf only. The actual file permissions also play a big role. It is usually best to assign group ownership to the folder and then add all users to that group.

Of course, for any local user that connects from a client you would need to create the same user in ubuntu too, etc.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Thanks for your suggestions! I'd like to stick with SMB for now.

I just found out that my other SMB shares on the Ubuntu Server machine are writeable, despite having the same entry in /etc/samba/smb.conf:

Code:
    [sharename]
    comment = Shared Files
    path = /media/sharename
    browsable = yes
    read only = no
    So, maybe this is, as Darko suggested, a local permissions problem. I tried
    Code:
    ls -l
    on all my shared drives, here are the results:

Code:
    drwxr-xr-x  3 gebseng root 4096 Sep 22 21:25 backup
    drwxrwxrwx 51 gebseng root 4096 Nov 11 23:33 video

drwxr-xr-x 9 root root 4096 Nov 11 00:55 sharename
    drwxrwxrwx 3 bin  root 4096 Oct  9 08:48 temp
    drwxrwxrwx 5 root root 4096 Nov 11 23:32 time_machine
    The shares backup, video, temp, time_machine are writeable over SMB by the user gebseng. Only the share sharename is not.

Can I change that with chmod? Or do I have to change the username to gebseng with chown?

Thanks for your help!

geb
    Last edited by gebseng; November 12th, 2020 at 12:45 AM.

Beans

Change the username.
    Code:
    sudo chown -R gebseng sharename
    If others need to access this directory, you'll need to explore using groups.

Another alternative if shared access is required is to use the "force user" and "force group" directives in smb.conf.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; November 12th, 2020 at 04:40 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Samba access and local Unix access are different animals. Samba runs as root, so all the permissions are handled by the smb.conf file.
    Use the
    Code:
    valid users =
    or
    Code:
    valid groups =
    settings in the specific share config stanza. Also, be certain you've run smbpasswd to set passwords for these users.

You can use the force user and force group options too, if you want all samba users to write to the Unix disks with a single groupid or single userid.

If you want all users to have access and don't want to list them, use
    Code:
    valid users = %S
    If you do that, you probably want to limit the clients which are allowed access using subnet controls. All these settings are listed in the manpage for smb.conf. General warning about smb.conf: Unfortunately, some settings only make sense when used in combination with other settings. If only 1 of the settings are in the config file, but the others are not, it won't work. Sometimes the combined settings have to work together with specific options to work. The valid users ones generally work without other complexities once the [global] setting of
    Code:
    security = user
    is set.

For anything that isn't a trivial change to the config, it is often best to find a working template in these forums for the specific client and specific server being run. In 2020, the defaults for Samba security changed which has been causing issues for people running old OSes or using old NAS systems. Additionally, Win10 changed their defaults to improve security, also breaking access to older NAS devices.

Whenever changing any config file like the smb.conf, always make a backup BEFORE touching it. It is common to just make a copy of the file in the same directory with a date-suffix (smb.conf-2020.11.12). Simple, quick and if you ever need to revert to that file, it is available. It is also handy to compare the new and old file once a working config has been found.