Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: install server on Dell Laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: install server on Dell Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    BIOS seems to have motherboard RAID. Don't do that. There is usually a toggle to change from RAID to AHCI or something like that.
    Try the install without LVM selected.

Have you considered NOT installing Ubuntu Server and using a like Ubuntu Desktop - perhaps Xubuntu - instead?
    I don't see any options in my bios for RAID. SATA Operation is set to AHCI.
    Pretty sure I had attempted an install with LVM de-selected. I'll try that again.

My next step was to try Ubuntu desktop. I did put the ISO on a USB stick and it wouldn't boot up.. would fail and go to a grub shell/prompt of some sorts..
    I burned the ISO on a DVD and that appears to work.. just VERY slow to load.

We shall see what happens. Thanks for the help!
    Registered Linux User #373810
    Become a Registered Linux User Here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The normal Ubuntu Desktop is fairly bloated - almost as bad as Win10. It really is sad for all the people using older hardware that the default, pushed, Ubuntu, doesn't run great on any generation Core i5 hardware.

If you use LVM, I think the Ubuntu Installer is going to wipe the entire hard disk. BTW, I didn't see any Windows left in that boot-repair report. LVM probably wiped it. I have a dream of someday being able to setup LVM in the way I want without having to use an entire HDD. With 20.04, the disk partitioning is 100x better than the prior installer - it was so much better that I cried tears of joy, but still has more to improve.
    Tears of joy, I say!

I love LVM and use it almost everywhere, so don't take my statements to be anti-LVM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    The normal Ubuntu Desktop is fairly bloated - almost as bad as Win10. It really is sad for all the people using older hardware that the default, pushed, Ubuntu, doesn't run great on any generation Core i5 hardware.

If you use LVM, I think the Ubuntu Installer is going to wipe the entire hard disk. BTW, I didn't see any Windows left in that boot-repair report. LVM probably wiped it. I have a dream of someday being able to setup LVM in the way I want without having to use an entire HDD. With 20.04, the disk partitioning is 100x better than the prior installer - it was so much better that I cried tears of joy, but still has more to improve.
    Tears of joy, I say!

I love LVM and use it almost everywhere, so don't take my statements to be anti-LVM.
    I gave up trying to get Ubuntu running on this laptop. I've tried every possible way I could think of.

I ended up downloading the latest Debian ISO and it installed it no problem and it boots properly after the installer rebooted! So there's something's up with Ubuntu's installer when it comes to this particular laptop.

Thanks guys/gals for the help anyways!
    Registered Linux User #373810
    Become a Registered Linux User Here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12