Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unknown permission status for class system

Beans

Re: Unknown permission status for class system

Yes, it was precisely the same thing that I found, at least in fedora there was a post indicating that it had to be updated, but for Ubuntu there is nothing. I already thought about starting with the older kernel to see if the problem stops. And well of course, update the server to 18 and then to 20.I really appreciate your help, I think that at the moment I do not have a critical effect on my server, unless of course you tell me otherwise.Of course, that has to do with the error, and not with the Linux version, that represents some kind of risk.

Beans

Yes, it was precisely the same thing that I found, at least in fedora there was a post indicating that it had to be updated, but for Ubuntu there is nothing. I already thought about starting with the older kernel to see if the problem stops. And well of course, update the server to 18 and then to 20.I really appreciate your help, I think that at the moment I do not have a critical effect on my server, unless of course you tell me otherwise.Of course, that has to do with the error, and not with the Linux version, that represents some kind of risk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

As you said, there just isn't any reference material in Ubuntu about that specific error. SystemD seems to be working despite the error. You mentioned there is a message when editing root-level configuration files but I do not think you clarified if you are able to successfully edit those files or if it prevents you from making changes.

Your OS is long in the tooth (old) so I would not put off upgrading it if there is nothing preventing it. I would recommend against trying to upgrade-in-place from 16 to 18 and then to 20. Even if you did not have any applications installed, it is still a risky business doing in-place upgrades and just crossing your fingers that it will work.

If at all possible, install a 20.04 server somewhere and see if you can get your software installed and configured like your existing server. Then copy over the data and see if you can get a fully-working copy running. If you can do this, then you will know how to make it work and not be under the panic/rush to fix and figure out things on the fly.

If you only have a single server, see if you can get it working on your PC inside a virtual environment or temporarily rent a server for the migration. Once you get it running on the temp server, you can then re-format the 16.04 server and install 20.04 from scratch (assuming there are no hardware issues). Then going from the 20.04 temp server to your main server which is also 20.04 should be very easy.

No matter what path you go down, make sure you have a backup and can restore if needed.

EDIT: Oops, noticed all my signature links were outdated. Fixed.

LHammonds
    Last edited by LHammonds; November 11th, 2020 at 12:09 AM.

Beans

excellent recommendation, thank you very much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12