Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Ubuntu and Linux - Trouble with installation due to Intel RST

Beans

New to Ubuntu and Linux - Trouble with installation due to Intel RST

Hi, as the title says, I am completely new to both Ubuntu and Linux as a whole. I decided to try out using Ubuntu on my HP laptop. However, I am not able to install it due to RST. If I understand correctly, I should go to BIOS > Advanced Settings and the switch SATA operation mode from RST to AHCI.

But the real problem is this: HP doesn't allow access to Advanced Settings in BIOS on it's consumer-grade laptops.

What should I do?

Side Note: I also tried installing Pop_OS! on the same laptop and it worked without any problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: New to Ubuntu and Linux - Trouble with installation due to Intel RST

Keep using Pop?

If you have at least 4G of RAM and a Core2 Duo CPU or faster, use Virtualbox under some other OS to gain that beginner knowledge of Linux. There must be 1000 how-to examples on youtube and in blogs with the settings.

If you check these forums, seems that HP hardware always needs some extra help to work. If it isn't the BIOS then it is their EFI implementation. Always something.

Beans

use Virtualbox under some other OS to gain that beginner knowledge of Linux.
    I don't really need the laptop rn, I don't travel much these days because of covid, so I can just use my desktop. So I figured I would put the laptop to some use.

Keep using Pop?
    I can live with that. But I wonder why it had no issues during instalation when Ubuntu had. It is based on Ubuntu after all, right?

Well at least I know not to buy HP hardware.
    Last edited by germaninhungary; November 10th, 2020 at 06:27 PM.

tea for one is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by germaninhungary View Post
    But the real problem is this: HP doesn't allow access to Advanced Settings in BIOS on it's consumer-grade laptops.

What should I do?
    That sounds unusual and contradicts EU acceptable practice for consumer devices.

Is this an enterprise machine, where certain facilities have been removed and/or secured?

Beans

No, I bought it myself to use for schoolwork, but thanks to covid I can just use my desktop for that.

Multiple threads on HP support forums are saying the same thing: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...t/true#M179267
    Last edited by germaninhungary; November 10th, 2020 at 06:46 PM.

tea for one is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Perhaps try HP Support or their User Forums.

Some UEFI/BIOS iterations require a Supervisor/Administrator Password to access Advanced Settings.

I would be surprised if you couldn't find a solution.
    Last edited by tea for one; November 10th, 2020 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Corrected Typo

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

dumb question - did you already search for "ubuntu install hp {insert model}"?
    I'm sure you have. Often the settings needed for any model wll be listed. by someone who fought the battle already.

We would have done that search but you didn't say which model.

Beans

It's HP14-cf1000nc and I didn't find anything the first time I googled it, but now I found a similiar thread about a different model, which made me suspect switchable graphics are the problem.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...t/true#M591791

It would make sense, as the post mentions PopOs solving the problem by default and PopOs works flawlessly on the laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I have an older HP laptop with switchable graphics. I disabled the Intel chip in the BIOS so the machine always uses the AMD device.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast