Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remote Desktop!

Beans

Re: Remote Desktop!

Have to agree with OP. I remember VNC working flawlessly last time I used Ubuntu (version 16.04). Now I've come back to Ubuntu, this time with a fresh install of 20.04.1 LTS, VNC comes to a black screen, spent 2 almost 3 days on trying to find a solution to it, but no dice. Now I'm going the RDP route, which I'm not too happy about since this is going to be a headless media/fileserver and prefer to screen share than RDP since I'm forced to log out of my session in order to RDP in. This will ultimately have to change, can't be logging out of this system, ever.

I just wish there was an official SOP/Knowledge Base for any of these changes and how to properly setup these services instead of going through pages upon pages of tutorials, all of which failed to solve the VNC issue that I, amongst many others are facing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Nobody here works for Canonical.

The official guides are at help.ubuntu.com. Everywhere else is unofficial to my knowledge. Random google answers often are bad, out of date, written by someone who knows less than you or me. They think they know how something works, but it turns out not all the steps are really connected. The fact that there are all 50-500 possible answers for each desired result doesn't help either. There isn't just 1 right answer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by hornetster View Post
    It works!
    So, I am assuming that this is now running securely over ssh...? Am I correct?
    Can I monitor the data being transferred?
    Thanks.
    Another update:
    No, this wasn't working, well, not securely, anyway.
    Have since played with again, and have it "sort of" working, securely...
    x11vnc installed on server machine - no automatic startup.
    When I want to connect, I run:
    Code:
    ssh -L 5900:localhost:5900 <HOSTNAME> 'x11vnc -localhost -display :1 -rfbauth /<HOMEDIRECTORY>/.vnc/passwd'
    Password has previously been saved, using : x11vnc -storepasswd
    Then connect to
    Code:
    localhost
    using, I assume, almost any vncviewer (I am using Tigervnc)

Issues:
    Apparently a user has to be logged in for it to be able to find the "display" component, and then sometimes doesn't appear to work either. I am a little bit perplexed by the whole user/logon/reboot process. What use is a remote app, if you have to logon physically to the remote machine before you can logon remotely??
    This is also the case when trying to connect to a linux box using teamviewer...
    Can anyone explain/give a solution?
    Thanks.
    Ubuntu 21.10 / Opensuse LEAP 15.3
    i5 / 16GB
    Onboard graphic/sound

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Can anyone explain/give a solution?
    Post #7 above provides 2 solutions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Post #7 above provides 2 solutions.
    Thanks for the reply, but, I don't believe it answers my original question. Yes, gives ways and means to do various things, but I am just trying to do a full remote session to another machine (not necessarily logged on), internally.

The initial command mentioned in Post#7 is for running a specific application/command? Don't believe this will work for a full session?
    x2go apparently is for external to the network? I am after internal...
    So... don't beleive that Post#7 actually provides 2 solutions to my original post?
    Thanks.
    Ubuntu 21.10 / Opensuse LEAP 15.3
    i5 / 16GB
    Onboard graphic/sound

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You are incorrect. It provides 2 solutions. Neither require a local login on the "console" first.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

x2go works perfectly over LAN either as the actual desktop as sharing or as xfce, or just about any desktop available in llinux. I can advise how if you need more help. I tried to use it for years without success just because I didn't realize a few easy tricks t o it.

https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...n-ubuntu-20-04

https://www.cs.mtsu.edu/~steven/x2go_tutorial/

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/...-ubuntu-14-04/

https://draculaservers.com/tutorials...emote-desktop/
    Last edited by cmcanulty; February 1st, 2021 at 06:52 PM.

Beans

I Use nomachine which is fine to me. Is even better than rdp I would say. Disadvantage is that is not open source. But since I connect over a SSH-Tunnel its secure enough to me.

https://www.nomachine.com/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

NoMachine is similar to x2go. Both use the NX protocol, just in proprietary ways. NX uses ssh, so getting ssh working is the first step.

I'm always amazed at people still using RDP or VNC when x2go is so much faster and just a few minutes to install and configure. The main problem with x2go is the limitation that only 1 client can run at a time, but if the remote systems are on the same LAN, then using 1 as a desktop and accessing the others using ssh -X works perfectly.

NoMachine also limits the number of client connections into a server. Product-based companies tend to do that, unlike service-based companies.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Actually you can use x2go on several machines at once by opening another instance of x2go for every computer you need to access. Not as easy as tabs in x2go but workable. Works over LAN or WAN

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast