Thread: Motherboard refused to power on, then finally did after some popping

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Motherboard refused to power on, then finally did after some popping

Hello all,

So I came home to my PC today and went to turn it on, no luck. Then I noticed the lights that are usually illuminated when the PSU is switched on, were not. So I unplugged and re-inserted all the power cables - both on the PSU end and the motherboard end. This yielded no results so I cleared the CMOS, which also didn't help. I removed the graphics card as this was only installed a few days ago, still the PC wouldn't turn on. I then noticed that the motherboard lights were actually coming on for around 2 seconds every twenty seconds, I sat and watched them for a while and then all of a sudden they came on permanently, followed by some soft popping noises which I assumed came from the PSU, although I can't know that. I have heard similar popping noises before while I have been using the PC, but they never heralded any negative effects.

I'm a little concerned as obviously it's not the expected behavior, I'm sat typing this on the machine in question now, but wondered if anyone has any advice? is there some way I could test my PSU with a Multi-meter? Specs below...

• Asus ROG Strix X570-I
    • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G
    • Powercolor RX 5600 ITX (GPU)
    • G-Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (16x2)
    • Sabrent Rocket M.2 NVME 500GB SSD
    • Corsair SF600 Platinum PSU

Thanks!

Edit: I've just become aware that some Corsair SF600 Platinum PSUs have recently been recalled due to a fault, units with lot codes ranging from 194448xx to 201148xx are affected. My unit has the lot code 201248xx, which seems pretty close, but allegedly not within the range of the bad units...
    Last edited by jcdenton1995; November 9th, 2020 at 06:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Motherboard refused to power on, then finally did after some popping

Get a new PSU and maybe a new GPU ASAP! I've had GPUs cause shorts in other system components and destroy a motherboard.
    Certainly don't use this machine. The fact that you've heard pops before means there is a serious fault and frying components has been happening, unless you have a roach family living inside the case.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

From reading around online, there seems to be a problem with Corsair PSU's and popping noises, allegedly caused by the in-rush of current into the empty capacitors after one leaves the machine either switched off at the wall, or off at the PSU switch, with a USB device still plugged in and drawing current (thus draining the capacitors). Seems to be prevalent amongst users who unplug the PC when not in use (I do this all the time).

I'm a bit at a loss really, the GPU never caused any immediate issues, and the popping noises I have experienced have actually not happened while the GPU is actually installed. I've had multiple people assure me that the high to low side isolation in Corsair PSUs is generally good, and failures rarely affect other components. I will try to RMA it, but I'm having a devil of a time finding the invoice

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you can't find the receipt for an RMA, I would still advise very strongly against using that machine. There are no circumstances under which a popping sound in an electronic device is anything other than a serious, potentially catastrophic, failure.

I see Corsair is often recommended in "best you can buy" blogs. It is impossible to know if those sources are sponsored.

From independent sources that publish their rigorous test results, you will likely find products like SeaSonic (power supplies are their core business) and Silverstone to be the most reliable in terms of longevity, voltage regulation and low noise. They can be expensive, however.

I don't cheap out on PSUs. In failing, they can take out a lot of other expensive hardware.
    Last edited by QIII; November 9th, 2020 at 10:46 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

@Qlll & @TheFu yes you are both right, finally found the proof of purchase I need so I've stopped using that machine and will RMA it ASAP. It's hard to know what to do as there is so much conflicting information online, but I think the best plan is to RMA it, and then if the replacement makes the same noise even once, take it to an electronics store to have it tested to try and determine if it is the PSU.

As for the make, I think Corsair supposedly make decent PSUs, Toms Hardware do a very in depth review on the SF600 which reads very well, and about 90% of the Amazon reviews are 5* (not massively technical or reliable I know, but it's a good indicator), so I think I will at least give them another chance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

log everything you can at home (video, photo) then send it back to repair service for replacement. fire hazard stuff is serious and they will take it seriously. if they don't, then i am sure there is some consumer protection organisation that could draft a strong worded letter with legal stuff in it for you.

i dealt with recalls on company's end in various parts of the world. luckily there were only a few in my 16 years of work (i think we had 5 and they are usually market&model specific), but believe me companies take this seriously. make sure you document it all. just in case they make you problems.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla