Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are there 32bit Linux versions still supported?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Are there 32bit Linux versions still supported?

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    True. It's kind of a self-reinforcing feedback loop isn't it? More bloated browsers beget more bloated sites which beget even more bloated browsers begetting yet more bloated sites. It spirals round and round, teetering upwards like an inverted cone.

I've found that noscript helps. It's pleasantly surprising how many sites are actually more informative shorn of their jingling bells, popups and eye candy, reduced to only the raw data. That's how I now read my news sites: by turning off all scripting.
    So true. When I first installed noscript I was amazed at how many sites want to run scripts on a site like NFL.com or CNN.com. It can require patience to figure out which scripts are required to make a site functional and which are not required/undesirable. I start with no Google and go from there. Then of course there's google maps and Recapta which require google.com to function.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For 32-bits I moved to FreeBSD 12.2 (Unix), that still has FULL support for 32-bits hardware including the i486. Also the BETA for release 13 has 32-bits support, however they will stop full support for i486 and i586 class CPUs thus CPUs older than 25 years. I use FreeBSD on a 2003 Pentium 4 HT (3.0 GHz); 1.25 GB DDR4 (400MHz), 2 IDE HDDs and 2 SATA-1 HDDs. Since mid 2019 I use the system as a headless backup server for my Ryzen desktop with Ubuntu 20.04. FreeBSD boots and runs from the ZFS file system and its implementation is more advanced than Ubuntu's experimental option. I have added a GUI with XFCE; Conky and XRDP. XFCE comes with the the well known XFCE apps, including Firefox. Installation is relatively simple, but adding the GUI requires some config file changes, but that process is very well documented. They also support other GUIs like Gnome and KDE.

All disk are used in ZFS-Raid-0, so booting is relative fast and the system is also relatively responsive also with the newest Firefox. The system is powered-on for 30-60 minutes/week, so it ages say 1 week/year. It is protected from the ugly, rude outside world by a 1200W Avtek surge protector. I expect, it will live till the end of times.
    Last edited by lammert-nijhof; November 11th, 2020 at 05:37 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

FreeBSD is definitely not something i would advise to a newbie.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Yes, Debian and linuxmint.

Beans

MX-Linux new MX-19.3 which was just released Nov 11, has 32-bit versions available. XFCE and KDE.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Even my moms boyfriend is changing his old 32-bit systems with used refurb 64-bit machines.
    Icon Set for Gnome/Deepin/eOS/Budgie
    | Spring | Autumn | Winter | Summer |

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Artificial Intelligence View Post
    Even my moms boyfriend is changing his old 32-bit systems with used refurb 64-bit machines.
    well it's about time he too jumped on 64 bit train.

MX linus is also based on debina. so as long as debian support its debian is a good option. after that there are less and less easy, newbie friendly options. for desktop PC i would really advise to get a refurb 64 bit or to get a new machine. i am still on single core but at least it is 64 bit.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

MX Linux:
    One thing to be aware of: the MX Linux installer still does not support LVM installation, so it's a no-go for potential customers who want to use LVM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Their is Anti-X 32 bit OS. works well on older computers it has low hardware requirements. That is what I have on my old laptop with an atom processor & 1GB memory, Runs quick. It also comes in 64 bit.
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/ant...inal/antiX-19/
    Their is Linux Mint LMDE (Debian edition) 32bit & 64bit Still looking at 4GB memory W/newer processor
    https://linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12