Thread: Give snap installs access to... EVERYTHING. (mainly glimpse accessing /var)

Beans

Give snap installs access to... EVERYTHING. (mainly glimpse accessing /var)

I have to begin with an opinion: I hate snap packages. Ok moving on:

Ubuntu 18.04
    Glimpse 0.2.0

Ok my Glimpse can't read or save to anything in /var. I want (for obvious reasons) to save jpg files to directories under /var/www/

How do I let it do that? I have /var set to 777 and owned by the same user I'm running glimpse as. I try to save (or just even view in the save dialogue) the /var directory and it still says permission denied.

Hell, how do I make *all* or *any* snap installs be able to see and write to everything everywhere it could if it wasn't a snap package. Yes, I know security is part of the whole point of snap, whatever, I don't care, I hate snap, I don't want the headache.

Thanks.

Beans

Re: Give snap installs access to... EVERYTHING. (mainly glimpse accessing /var)

I think the first step would be to contact Glimpse Snap creators of the issue. I'm no SNAP expert, but I know that they can list various rights they need to access in snapcraft.yaml.

The other thing is you can always try to install the snap in devmode. This normally gives you more rights.
    Though of course, you shouldn't do this on the regular.
    snap install --devmode ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

snaps cannot write anywhere except under /home/ and if the snap packaging team decided, perhaps, under /media/ and /mnt/, if we setup a "connection". Those 2 other places are not automatic.
    A command:
    Code:
    $ snap connections <application-name> --all
    https://snapcraft.io/docs/removable-media-interface

There isn't any way for snaps to write anywhere else. That's part of the snap design. If this doesn't work for you, look for a PPA version of the tool.

Beans

Ug. Ok thanks, I'll go "complain" in the Glimpse forums. I pity the people who have the crazy idea of using glimpse to make and edit image files that are served up to internet world wide web sites. What an odd uncommon thing to use it for!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If the snap's author has set it up, you can use classic confinement, which lifts the sandboxing restrictions.

Setting permissions to 777 is a terrible idea.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    Setting permissions to 777 is a terrible idea.
    +1