Thread: Taskbars missing in Gnome Flashback on 20.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Taskbars missing in Gnome Flashback on 20.04

I like the Gnome Flashback desktop. The problem is my taskbars have disappeared. They disappeared after having a internal network problem while logged into my Ubuntu system via xrdp from a Windows system in my house that is about 300 feet away from the shed where my Linux system is. This had occurred once before; I re-installed Gnome Flashback (gnome-session-flashback) and xrdp. I used the version 1.2 install script from Griffon's IT Library for the initial install and the reinstallation. After this the desktop came back.

I did the same this time with the difference that I added sound to the xrdp installation. My taskbars are still missing. I don't know what is going wrong but this occurs on all users on the Ubuntu System.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Taskbars missing in Gnome Flashback on 20.04

UPDATE. I searched the forums and found a thread where some one was having problems with the taskbars in 18.04. The advice was to do a ">killall gnome-panel" and then restart gnome-panel. When I tried to do the killall, I found that gnome-panel was not running. I ran gnome-panel putting it in the background. Lo and behold, the taskbars reappeared. What is supposed to start up the gnome-panel application? I can't seem to find it and it is not installing properly when I install gnome-session-flashback.

Beans

It typically doesn't need to be added directly into startup apps so I'd first try:

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure gnome-panel
    Then either reboot or logout and back in. If the output of that command returns any errors it might be helpful in troubleshooting the problem.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    It typically doesn't need to be added directly into startup apps so I'd first try:

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure gnome-panel
    Then either reboot or logout and back in. If the output of that command returns any errors it might be helpful in troubleshooting the problem.
    That didn't work. I got no error messages at all. I know that xdg starts my gnome session but I can't find where gnome-panel is called which may be because it is missing. I have another system with Ubuntu 18.04 and will set up gnome-flashback there. Then I will go look for gnome-panel if it successfully loads and runs flashback.