Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 4750G support integrated graphics?

Beans

Re: Does AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 4750G support integrated graphics?

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    "Integrated" graphics are integrated on the motherboard. That is to say that they are soldered down. An APU has both the "dedicated" GPU and the CPU on the same die and you lock down the whole thing in one socket.
    You're using the word dedicated incorrectly there. Dedicated graphics is a chip that just does graphics. In other words, graphics on an APU are still integrated. They're just integrated directly into the CPU instead of the motherboard northbridge/chipset.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I don't know how 20.04 and newer support the latest AMD graphics but I had a Ryzen 2200G APU on an Asrock B350 chipset motherboard. That was not a happy combination running 18.04. It did hard lockups and all sorts of unpleasant stuff. Installing HWE seemed to help a little but it still crashed. I ended up disabling the integrated GPU and installing a few years old AMD/ATI graphics card. That combo worked out reasonably well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
    While AMD is not selling a retail version of the Ryzen PRO 4750G (yet) you can buy OEM versions from a number of places online. You need to provide your own cooler, which is probably a good idea anyway.
    they sell it with wraith stealth cooler here for 383 EUR+ shipping.

anyway i believe they will move the G to 5000 series and more or less skip the 4000 for desktops. at least that's what i read in the news.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    I don't know how 20.04 and newer support the latest AMD graphics but I had a Ryzen 2200G APU on an Asrock B350 chipset motherboard. That was not a happy combination running 18.04. It did hard lockups and all sorts of unpleasant stuff. Installing HWE seemed to help a little but it still crashed. I ended up disabling the integrated GPU and installing a few years old AMD/ATI graphics card. That combo worked out reasonably well.
    that's odd. support should be good by now. even with pro drivers? what about PPA?

could it be the paste and cooling ? i mean in general CPUs (APUs) work and i would understand if the first versions had issue and if early drivers had issues, but second gen? and a year or two later it should be fine. maybe not stellar still but it should have lockups and other things.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Pasque View Post
    You're using the word dedicated incorrectly there. Dedicated graphics is a chip that just does graphics. In other words, graphics on an APU are still integrated. They're just integrated directly into the CPU instead of the motherboard northbridge/chipset.
    I used quotation marks on purpose. While CPU and GPU are indeed etched together on the same die that also has an etched bus in an APU, the actual areas of the die work independently of each other. They just do so very efficiently because of the inherent benefits of the lithography. And the area occupied by the GPU gets considerably hotter than the area with the CPU, meaning the entire thing has to be designed to bear greater heat. But the CPU and GPU portions of the chip are in different locations and still require the bus on the chip in order to communicate.

APUs and SoCs blur the more traditional terms that I set off with quotation marks, rendering the terms somewhat archaic. However, I would argue that "integrated" graphics still refer more to the integration of the graphics processing unit as a soldered-down component of a motherboard. If you buy a board with "integrated graphics", there is a non-removable GPU present on the motherboard, and I suggested avoiding that. Note that I suggested "integrated graphics" as a part of the motherboard by italicizing motherboard.

Not trying to equivocate -- I both understand the manufacturing processes, hardware topography and terminology and I substantially agree with you -- but the OEMs still have a term for marketing the specs of their boards. Buying a board that is advertised as having "integrated graphics" is unnecessary in these days where both AMD and Intel offer their products as they do.

I don't buy motherboards with "integrated" graphics because I use powerful multi-core CPUs and powerful GPU cards for the work I do. If I were to use a modern laptop, I'd use an APU.
    Last edited by QIII; November 4th, 2020 at 07:30 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Buying a board that is advertised as having "integrated graphics" is unnecessary in these days where both AMD and Intel offer their products as they do.
    I'm not sure what you're getting at. The OP is talking about Socket AM4 boards, which all support integrated graphics (by having physical video outputs). I think you are just making things more confusing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm not sure what you're getting at. The OP is talking about Socket AM4 boards, which all support integrated graphics (by having physical video outputs). I think you are just making things more confusing.
    Those support the graphics on CPU. All have to have physical video outputs, of course, how else would you use the graphics? But they don't advertise "integrated graphics", they advertise ports.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    But they don't advertise "integrated graphics", they advertise ports.
    Okay, so can you or QIII give an example of a Socket AM4 motherboard that has integrated graphics in the way you define it that the OP should avoid? Also, note that the OP wants integrated graphics because the workload does not require a lot graphics power. In other words, I think QIII is trying to make a distinction that doesn't exist and unnecessarily confusing the OP. Furthermore, there's nothing wrong with integrated graphics (whether integrated into the mobo or CPU) if that's adequate for the workload.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    that's odd. support should be good by now. even with pro drivers? what about PPA?

could it be the paste and cooling ? i mean in general CPUs (APUs) work and i would understand if the first versions had issue and if early drivers had issues, but second gen? and a year or two later it should be fine. maybe not stellar still but it should have lockups and other things.
    AMDGPU installed by default IIRC. I didn't look at PPAs. The problem could also have been partially due to the motherboard, it was a return. I'm not really sure but I replaced the motherboard and processor, kept the memory and video card. That install would still lock up occasionally, a fresh install on an MSI B450 board with Ryzen 5 2600X processor (Mo' cores/threads!) with a few years old AMD video card using the Radeon driver seems to be working as expected.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Okay, so can you or QIII give an example of a Socket AM4 motherboard that has integrated graphics in the way you define it that the OP should avoid?
    i don't know for desktop but you have on laptops Dell Inspiron 3850 (actualyl many others) or something like that that comes with 2 GPU chips. one is Intel, the other one is nvidia. intel GPU chip is on the CPU while nVidia is separate. and that's how all laptops with nvidia optimus are made. you also have some with ryzen and nvidia. again 2 chips one is on CPU and the other one on the board.

you also have Intel Gaming NUC where you have one GPU on intel CPU and one is separate AMD Rxx chip on motherboard. only in both of these cases the setup would work.

but they is a 2 chip setup and no dedicated card.

i don't know ho common is this on current desktop motherboards. it used to be pretty common back in the days to have nvidia motherboard chip and also nvidia GPU chip on the board itself. yet the bord was made for AMD Athlon CPU. i had one. i disabled the onboard nvidia GPU chip and added a dedicated GPU to it.

in any case this is now no longer needed (except on laptops where you might want more power than the GPU chip that is on the CPU itself can offer. quite often on gaming laptops or portable workstations.

the Op doesn't need any of this. they should just buy a motherboard that is linux compatible and AMD chip with G nin the model name will take care of graphics. Other option is Intel chip with GPU on it. i think most models have it. but intel costs more. linux support is good though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast