Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: kubuntu 20.10 did have nvidia issue?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: kubuntu 20.10 did have nvidia issue?

awesome. who could now? maybe the driver needed newer kernel version or the kernel version needed older driver. happy gaming!
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    awesome. who could now? maybe the driver needed newer kernel version or the kernel version needed older driver. happy gaming!
    So its not some linux developer on ubuntu forum? only users with little experence?
    I think i get some issue about desktop icon get missing and sometimes i get poor image i guess nvidia 455 drives may be beta or not finaly ready?
    Some other get issue? Its look like SLI support its removed in mint so i guess same happed with ubuntu, did any one know?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by LMH1 View Post
    So its not some linux developer on ubuntu forum? only users with little experence?
    I think i get some issue about desktop icon get missing and sometimes i get poor image i guess nvidia 455 drives may be beta or not finaly ready?
    Some other get issue? Its look like SLI support its removed in mint so i guess same happed with ubuntu, did any one know?

only users on ubuntu forum. developers are on launchpad for bugs.

nvidia drivers are developed by nvidia. they have their own website & forums. developers are found there, but to submit your issue you need to download and use their tool that pulls out various information form your OS. then they can help you sometimes quite fast and who knows you might be the next person responsible for driver patch.

Linux is modular system. Ubuntu / Cannonical basically just binds all the modules (services, apps...) together into an operating system. for exmaple libre office is developed by libre team, gnome desktop environment is developed by gnome desktop team, kernel (core of the OS) is maintained by linux kernel team etc. each has different way to help users and to get your word out to developers.

for user support Cannonical offers paid support.

there is also ubuntu IRC channel if you need fast support from other users.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I have tryed:
    https://linuxhint.com/update_ubuntu_kernel_20_04/

sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:cappelikan/ppa
    sudo apt install mainline
    But why did not ubuntu have more new kernel by default?

Linux is modular system. Ubuntu / Cannonical basically just binds all the modules (services, apps...) together into an operating system. for exmaple libre office is developed by libre team, gnome desktop environment is developed by gnome desktop team, kernel (core of the OS) is maintained by linux kernel team etc. each has different way to help users and to get your word out to developers.

for user support Cannonical offers paid support.

there is also ubuntu IRC channel if you need fast support from other users.
    Yes but is about to ask for issue for user and did not inform easy way what issue may be? its can be hard to know. I think reason to not give last kernel is because know issue about it. But opensuse tumbleweed use it.
    Last edited by LMH1; December 9th, 2020 at 10:36 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

But why did not ubuntu have more new kernel by default?

I think reason to not give last kernel is because know issue about it.
    you answered to your own question. Kernel has to be tested, bugs have to be fixed, before they are released to "enthusiastic users" who use it and test it some more. anothe round of fixing and debugging... and testing. finally you get to sort of OK kernel which is the stable. by stable it is kept on same version and security patches are then added.

this is important for companies that run servers and provide money to linux. to have a stable non changing environment. in windows business edition version also stays old. you have apps that thousands of users use and if you change kernel every day those apps or services might break. for home user it is not such a big issue, but for company each second lost is money lost.

otherwise:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds

But opensuse tumbleweed use it.
    [/QUOTE]

the use Opensuse. it's a very good OS. another option is Debian testing, Arch Linux or Manjaro.

Linux mint (ubuntu based) decided to offer users Linux Mint Debian based on Debian testing. for 3 months or so the version ran great. low RAM usage, more optimised, faster. really great OS. then major upgrade with new testing kernel and some other apps occurred in Debian testing branch. this then moved to Linux Mint and suddenly forums were flooded with users having issues due to bugs in kernel and apps. note that in Linux, opensource drivers are included in kernel so imagine alfa testing all device drivers on windows. it may go smooth or it might not.

bottom line - you have so called roling distros (i named a few above), and are free to use them. just be aware things may break and when they do you will have to at least find out why and report the issue before it get's fixed. i prefer stable and i stayed on 18.04 with the 4.15 kernel. runs great on my old machine, no point in moving it to newer version yet. new pc from one of the kids received 20.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

you answered to your own question. Kernel has to be tested, bugs have to be fixed, before they are released to "enthusiastic users" who use it and test it some more. anothe round of fixing and debugging... and testing. finally you get to sort of OK kernel which is the stable. by stable it is kept on same version and security patches are then added.

this is important for companies that run servers and provide money to linux. to have a stable non changing environment. in windows business edition version also stays old. you have apps that thousands of users use and if you change kernel every day those apps or services might break. for home user it is not such a big issue, but for company each second lost is money lost.
    But kernel 5.9.13 is stable:
    mainline: 5.10-rc7 its not release but its RC (release candidate)

https://www.debugpoint.com/2020/10/l...l-5-9-release/
    Its look like its support the most new hardware.

prefer stable and i stayed on 18.04 with the 4.15 kernel.
    I must say most of ubuntu is very stabile for browser, openoffice or much but Wine HQ or gaming or charging hardware may be issue, its also issue that Linux did not have cache available so its can use SSD to get more perfomance.

Other thing https://ubuntu.com/about/release-cycle this give you only update (Fixing bug or safety issue) but new features will not be added. Its old like XP or windows 7. But still give litte support for bugfixing. But may some month Ubuntu 22.04 LTS may get availble to testing.

I did not find any thing to get more big software that need more hardware?
    Last edited by LMH1; December 10th, 2020 at 07:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hi i must use:
    https://sypalo.com/how-to-upgrade-ubuntu

But kernel 5.9.13 is stable:
    mainline: 5.10-rc7 its not release but its RC (release candidate)

Tryed them both but 5.10 did works with lastest nvidia drivers and the other did not help, but linux mint 20 works nice with nvidia titan SLI so must its be bug in ubuntu 20.10 or GTX 1080 TI must be issue with poor desktop icon did not show and poor image? Its better without drivers. Than nvidia 455 drivers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12