Thread: Software Updates Broken

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Software Updates Broken

I just upgraded to 20.04 on Dell Vostro 1510 laptop Tried to install wine and an application but things have gone wrong!Software won't update from Software updater and I can't remove the Wine packages from Other software it just hangs and gives the same message I get when - see the next bit Tried an update and got the following message in Terminal
    E:Malformed entry 52 in list file /etc/apt/sources.list (Component)
    E: The list of sources could not be read.
    I gather I need to purge the sources list? but don't know how to go about it

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Software Updates Broken

Quote Originally Posted by kenbright View Post
    If by purge, you mean remove them, no, don't do that. That would make things worse. What that message means is that line 52 in your /etc/apt/sources.list file is malformed, that is, it's in a state that the package manager can't make sense of. A simple edit is probably all that is needed.

Please post the output of this terminal command:

Code:
    cat /etc/apt/sources.list
    That will show the contents of the sources.list file so that we can see what is wrong. Please enclose the output between BBCode code tags for clarity. There's a link in my sig if you need a guide to using code tags.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Code:
    cat -n /etc/apt/sources.list
    Will be clearer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No, don't do that.
    It says the component is messed up.
    the component is the archive related to it such as stable or contrib or main or something else.
    With wine repos I think they only have main.
    If adding wine repos make sure it's from here: https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

And NOT from here: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks for all the replies. After some hunting around I found that purge was definitely the wrong move and successfully edited etc/apt/sources. All I need to do now is find why I have a 'no entry' sign in the top bar next to the internet symbol. It doesnt do anything just opens an empty grey box when I click on it. Otherwise everything else is OK I just haven't tried anything else with wine yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Post back the sources.list output that both coffeecat and ActionParsnip requested.
    Also Run
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt upgrade
    and post the output for that too, please.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful