Thread: Ubuntu 20.10 doesn't add home directory for Enterprise Active Directory Accounts

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu 20.10 doesn't add home directory for Enterprise Active Directory Accounts

installed Ubuntu 20.10 on a Raspberry Pi 4. After logging in with the user account I created during installation, I added an Enterprise user for Active Directory.

I am able to log in with my Active Directory credentials. Unfortunately, a home account is not created for this user. As a result, programs such as firefox, chromium, etc, do not run properly.

Is a home directory supposed to be created for enterprise users? How can I correct this?

----------------------

I found the solution to the problem. You have to run
    Code:
    pam-auth-update
    and tick the option "Create home directory on login"

This will create a new user directory for each active directory user that logs in. Things will function normally after that such as firefox starting. I will have to submit a bug report about this.
    Last edited by nhasian; November 3rd, 2020 at 12:37 AM. Reason: [Solved]

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ubuntu 20.10 doesn't add home directory for Enterprise Active Directory Accounts

What happens if you run
    Code:
    sudo useradd username
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 20.10 doesn't add home directory for Enterprise Active Directory Accounts

I am not trying to add a local user, I have already added an Enterprise user via Active Directory that authenticates on a Windows AD Server. I tried manually adding the directory, but then I am unable to chown it to the user because the username is user.name@domain.com.
    The user is not listed in /etc/shadow or /etc/passwd