Thread: Hi! Love ubuntu/lubuntu! Not sure what level I'm on, questions, constructive ideas

Beans

Thumbs up Hi! Love ubuntu/lubuntu! Not sure what level I'm on, questions, constructive ideas

1,000,000 compliments aside, for time's sake, I'll get right to the blood and guts

ubuntu is obviously not for green horn novices

I have the benefit of being 40, learning Ms DOS in elementary school, first apple's etc

I can build a pc from scratch, by parts alone. I've been online since '97 and had a friend introduce me to mIRC, ICQ, usenet, winamp, zip/rar and I learned html on my own, along with IRC script. I've since dabbled in php, css. I am a jerk for not digging up binary code 101 and learning how to solder parts, I accept that. my knowledge base is in geometry, math, occult, cosmology, astrology, physics, language not advanced linguistics, . . . I can pull numbers out of words and do phonic associations from Sumerian, Phoenician, Hebrew, Enochian, English, Germanic, Latin, I get language, communications, I can Indiana Jones through sudo help commands. those are my current limits as of this post.

The biggest roadblocks in using ubuntu/lubuntu I've found are the, "you're supposed to know" and the lack of features that exist in the first Macintosh, windows gui's, such as a full functioning file explorer, and then, a program similar to ACDSee for image handling, and preview, which ought to be integrated into the file explorer. GIMP is the best image creation program I've c\found, and it is great, fantastic, despite the cold brutal redundant interface.

The ultimate reason bringing me here, as a door into the forums, I want/need to be able to open that gui dialogue and have all the features, specifically the right click, save gui, that, I can't believe no one is lighting fires about, or perhaps I am overlooking something obvious. Ty!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Hi! Love ubuntu/lubuntu! Not sure what level I'm on, questions, constructive idea

Not a help request.

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat as the more appropriate forum.

Beans

Re: Hi! Love ubuntu/lubuntu! Not sure what level I'm on, questions, constructive idea

No, you're not supposed to just know everything, but reading the manual (for Ubuntu and for Lubuntu) will bring you closer to that goal. Both flavours do have a file manager (Nautilus for Ubuntu, PCManFM-Qt for Lubuntu) and a simple image viewer is included in both ('Eye of Gnome' for Ubuntu, LXImage for Lubuntu).

Not quite sure what you mean by your last sentence ...

Holger

Beans

There is a possibly that something went wonky at or after install. Right click gives me 10 options + 3 for extensions. Would try a new a question with specifics about what is the problem or what you want an action to do. Unfortunately all 3 main OSs do have good features/programs that the other two don't.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I built my second PC in 2007 and installed Ubuntu 7.04 (released April 2007) because a computer journal recommended Ubuntu as being the distribution of Linux best suited for the Linux beginner. And that journal was not wrong.

My first PC run nothing but MSdos. I think it was version 3. The machine had 2 floppy drives, no hard drive & 640 Kilo Bytes of memory. My first self-built machine ran Windows 3 and finally Windows 98 before I moved on to my second self-build.

I do not agree with your assessment of Ubuntu. You do not seem to understand the massive difference between using an operating system produced by a corporation that controls the operating system in such away that only its own software products integrate with the user interface and an operating system made up of many parts produced by different groups of developers who may or may not be employees of an organisation.

When I first joined this forum help requests were often met with a string of commands as the solution. One reason for this is that early users of Linux were used to doing things through the command line. Another reason is that commands work on any distribution of Linux whatever User Interface it had and regardless of the GUI utilities that came as default with the distribution.

Oh. My work experience? Shop assistant in a grocery shop, office cleaner, vehicle security engineer, warehouseman, sales assistant. Those last two were in a high street store where I was trained up to managerial level in fire, health & safety.

Regards
    Last edited by grahammechanical; October 28th, 2020 at 10:30 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lleooneiro View Post
    1,000,000 compliments aside, for time's sake, I'll get right to the blood and guts

ubuntu is obviously not for green horn novices

I have the benefit of being 40, learning Ms DOS in elementary school, first apple's etc

I can build a pc from scratch, by parts alone. I've been online since '97 and had a friend introduce me to mIRC, ICQ, usenet, winamp, zip/rar and I learned html on my own, along with IRC script. I've since dabbled in php, css. I am a jerk for not digging up binary code 101 and learning how to solder parts, I accept that. my knowledge base is in geometry, math, occult, cosmology, astrology, physics, language not advanced linguistics, . . . I can pull numbers out of words and do phonic associations from Sumerian, Phoenician, Hebrew, Enochian, English, Germanic, Latin, I get language, communications, I can Indiana Jones through sudo help commands. those are my current limits as of this post.

The biggest roadblocks in using ubuntu/lubuntu I've found are the, "you're supposed to know" and the lack of features that exist in the first Macintosh, windows gui's, such as a full functioning file explorer, and then, a program similar to ACDSee for image handling, and preview, which ought to be integrated into the file explorer. GIMP is the best image creation program I've c\found, and it is great, fantastic, despite the cold brutal redundant interface.

The ultimate reason bringing me here, as a door into the forums, I want/need to be able to open that gui dialogue and have all the features, specifically the right click, save gui, that, I can't believe no one is lighting fires about, or perhaps I am overlooking something obvious. Ty!

Concentrating on that, the cosmos came up with this,

FileManager-Actions Configuration Tool

Software Center, search for,

Filemanager-Actions
    and you also may need,

fma-config-tool
    Good luck 'Indiana Jones'

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My 80+ yr old mother used Lubuntu for 3 yrs. There were times she needed help, just like all end-users of every other OS made.

I've needed help with every OS. Just depended on what the issue was. Sometimes there was no solution.

Self-taught and formally trained people always have knowledge gaps. That comes from learning only what is necessary, as it is necessary. That's human nature. Every release changes things.

Beans

Self-taught and formally trained people always have knowledge gaps. That comes from learning only what is necessary, as it is necessary.

First - I plead ignorance not knowing about "chat" forum. My last post will probably end up there.

. I had ti chuckle on this Self-taught and formally trained people always have knowledge gaps.
    Very nice way to put - "knowledge gaps" irregardless of training or lack of it.
    (Perhaps you should listen to George Carlin "Shell shock" monologue )

However , the second sentence is gold. I have been thru few technical forums where few "know it all regulars" almost always generate
    traffic by posting links and often end their "contributions" by "RTFM" "answers".

It is definitely trend in past few years.

In my view , vast majority of posts are because people have SPECIFIC issue , most of them asked Mrs Google or did RTFM.

That is the purpose of the forum - echange of SPECIFIC resolution to SPECIFIC issue.
    Ask what is necessary and expecting resolutin for what is necessary - not how the world was created sermon / lecture.

Luckily for readers, it is getting late so I will quit ranting while I am still ahead....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    When I first joined this forum help requests were often met with a string of commands as the solution. One reason for this is that early users of Linux were used to doing things through the command line. Another reason is that commands work on any distribution of Linux whatever User Interface it had and regardless of the GUI utilities that came as default with the distribution.
    Same here. When I first started, I had a heck of a time even doing basic stuff. This was back on 9.10 too, and Ubuntu has evolved as the years have gone by.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Self-taught and formally trained people always have knowledge gaps. That comes from learning only what is necessary, as it is necessary. That's human nature. Every release changes things.
    That's true. Change can throw a wrench in any prior knowledge. Sysv vs Systemd for example. I'm still wrapping my head around systemd even through all my systems are using it.

Not to mention it's kind of hard to know what you don't know yet.

Quote Originally Posted by helen314 View Post
    However , the second sentence is gold. I have been thru few technical forums where few "know it all regulars" almost always generate
    traffic by posting links and often end their "contributions" by "RTFM" "answers".

It is definitely trend in past few years.
    This has always been the case. It's not even "the past few years." It doesn't even matter where you are posting.

Quote Originally Posted by helen314 View Post
    In my view , vast majority of posts are because people have SPECIFIC issue , most of them asked Mrs Google or did RTFM.

That is the purpose of the forum - echange of SPECIFIC resolution to SPECIFIC issue.
    Ask what is necessary and expecting resolutin for what is necessary - not how the world was created sermon / lecture.
    I'm not sure what you are ranting about, but the majority of users that come here post their question and get some sort of answer that doesn't include RTFM (which is against the forum rules).

You might want to take a glance over them as well as check out the posting guidelines which are located here.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...