Thread: Keeps freezing on boot Ubuntu 20.04LTS

Beans

Keeps freezing on boot Ubuntu 20.04LTS

Hi

I 'upgraded' from version 18.04LTS to 20.04LTS but since doing so my PC is taking ages to boot to the login screen (on average 4-5 minutes). Sometimes I get the Ubuntu spinning wheel but then that disappears and the PC simply freezes requiring a hard restart (hold in the power button to turn off the PC and then restart). Sometimes I have to go through the restart process a couple of times before the PC finally boots through to the login screen.

My PC is a Lenovo AIO 300, 8Gb RAM, intel 2.10 Ghz x 4 processor.

I never had these problems with v 18.04.

Any ideas please?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: Keeps freezing on boot Ubuntu 20.04LTS

Could be a graphics card/driver issue?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by david-daking View Post
    Could be a graphics card/driver issue?
    Hi

I don't have any other problems with the graphics chip (all-in-one PC so built in chip on the motherboard - Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 510 (SKL GT1)) and it's not throwing up any errors on boot and all system updates are up-to-date.

Bob

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It's just my idea, upgrading to 20.04 gave me enough headache allready. I've upgraded a 18.04 LTS pc to 20.04 LTS by command line, that gave me the same long boot problems. After that I decided to uprade with a fresh install with a live usb, boot times where halved. Then I got initramfs errors at boot and systemd at shutdown, not even mentioning another slew of program troubles I tried to find answers on the net, found similar problems but no answers. Since 18.04 LTS is supported to april 2021 I would suggest to use it until then, there's not enough stable in 20.04. I'm reverting back to 18.04 myself over the weekend, sick of the silly ' workarounds' of things that just worked fine and now are broken!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Deep_Peasant View Post
    It's just my idea, upgrading to 20.04 gave me enough headache allready. I've upgraded a 18.04 LTS pc to 20.04 LTS by command line, that gave me the same long boot problems. After that I decided to uprade with a fresh install with a live usb, boot times where halved. Then I got initramfs errors at boot and systemd at shutdown, not even mentioning another slew of program troubles I tried to find answers on the net, found similar problems but no answers. Since 18.04 LTS is supported to april 2021 I would suggest to use it until then, there's not enough stable in 20.04. I'm reverting back to 18.04 myself over the weekend, sick of the silly ' workarounds' of things that just worked fine and now are broken!
    Hi

I think I'm going to give Groovy Gorilla a go. If that's no better then it will be back to 18.04 as well

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bob101plod View Post
    Hi

I think I'm going to give Groovy Gorilla a go. If that's no better then it will be back to 18.04 as well
    You can always try different versions. Remember that Groovy Gorilla will also last you only 6 months till the next version.
    Let us know how it went.